Alphabet Letter A Anteater
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities, Craft
> Crafts > Letter A
Animals > Mammals > Rainforest
Online Jigsaw Puzzles > Alphabet
Seasons > Summer
|Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter A. Review related topics
in the themes column.
This is Activity Day #7 of Letter A Impact Poster Lesson Plan
Animals > Mammals > Rainforest > Anteater
The anteater is a mammal that uses its long, sticky tongue to eat ants and termites. True anteaters (example: Giant Anteater) have no teeth, are furry, and live in Central or South America. They are related to sloths. Other kinds of mammals that eat ants are also sometimes called anteaters, but they are not related to American anteaters.
Alphabet Activities > Letter A Anteater > Skills > letter recognition and problem solving.Present the letter A Anteater six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view letter A in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Distribute your option of letter of printable activities listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter A coloring page in Standard block or D'Nealian and an anteater coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Idea: Have children draw ants (or fingerprint ants) close to the anteaters mouth after coloring the image. Discuss other letter A words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter A's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter A's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the anteater image. Write the word anteater on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+: Alphabet - beginning letter A sound (short sound)
Present the Letter A Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words.
* Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter A's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter A's: Have the children find all the letter A's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first.
Discuss other letter A words and images found in the worksheet. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display other A posters and coloring pages or even make a letter A classroom book. Visit Letter A Alphabet Printable Materials to make your choice.
Letter A Word Search Game & Handwriting Practice: The eight-word search game features the anteater and letter A words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced Handwriting Practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper. Have children draw an anteater eating ants behind the lined paper or print an anteater coloring to color and decorate with with fingerprint ants close to its mouth after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper: encourage children to draw and color an anteater scene and handwriting practice.
Crafts > DLTK's Anteater Printable Craft > This includes a great idea to add a scene with an ant hill and fingerprint ants. When making the ant hill make it to resemble a letter A.
Before craft assembly conduct some learning activities for the craft activity with the craft templates:
1. Math > Shapes | Colors: Identify colors and shapes. Count and number the craft templates.
2. Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring (precursors to handwriting), problem solving, and fine motor skills.
3. Alphabet > Write the alphabet letter on the craft in upper and lower case.
Letter A Anteater Online Jigsaw Puzzle
Letter A coloring page
Letter A Worksheet & Mini-Book
(short a sound)
D'Nealian and Standard font
Word Search & Handwriting
Drawing & Writing Paper
Giant Anteater coloring
(print behind the lined-paper)
Anteater Printable Craft
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/a/anteater.htm|