Alphabet Letter C Centipede
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Letter C >
C is for Centipede
Animals > Insects & Bugs > Centipede
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter C. Review related topics in the themes column and visit the centipede themed activities and/or crafts.
Animals > Arthropod > Insects & Bugs > Centipede >
The centipede is a small animal with narrow body like a worm. A centipede's body is divided into many segments, each having a pair of legs. The front legs have poison claws. Centipedes are a kind of arthropod, not an insect, and are active at night.
Online resource > Centipede at Wikipedia.org
Alphabet Activity: Letter C is for Centipede
Present and display your option of alphabet letter C is for Centipede printable materials listed in the materials column. Present and display the poster and and distribute the coloring page or handwriting practice worksheet.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter C's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter C's: Have the children find all the letter C's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter C's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a centipede behind the page or print a centipede coloring page to color after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a centipede and write letter C c. Share some images of a real centipede to inspire the children.
Letter C words: Letter C Activity Worksheet and Mini Book This worksheet and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter C program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related C words (soft C as in letter S). Suggested instructions for use here.
Discuss other letter C words and images (refer to letter activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with example. You can print letter C in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter C posters and coloring pages or even make a letter C classroom book. For related images visit: Letter C Printable Materials
Other learning activities with the color poster:
1. Color Practice: The poster features a cartoon centipede featuring many colors. This is a fun opportunity to practice color recognition. Point to the colors and encourage children to name the color and a favorite object or thing in that color.
2. Counting/Numbers: Count each color section in the centipede's body and/or print the numbers in each section.
Coloring and/or Craft Activity:
1. Encourage the children to color the centipede image with a variety of materials.
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/c/centipede.htm|