Alphabet Letter G Gerbil
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Alphabet > Letter G > G is for Gerbil
Mammals > Rodents > Desert | Pets > > Gerbil
Crafts > Gerbil (adapt a mouse crafts)
Holidays and Events > Pets Events
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter G (soft g sound).
1. Animals > Mammals > Rodents > Desert > Pets > Gerbil
The gerbil is a very small rodent that looks like a mouse with a furry tail. Gerbils live in burrows in the deserts of Africa and Asia. They are often kept as pets. Online resources:
* Resources on Pet Gerbils at Humanesociety.org
* Your Pet Gerbil at CBBC an interactive guide and fact sheet
* Gerbil at Wikipedia.org
2. Alphabet Activity > Letter G is for Gerbil
Present and display your option of letter G printable activities in materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter G coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a gerbil coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter G words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter G's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the goat image. Write the word goat on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter G (soft G sound)
1. Present the Letter G Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
The worksheet and matching mini-book can be used as part of Letter G program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related G words.
Discuss other letter G words (soft g sound) and images (refer to activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with examples. You can print letter G in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter G posters and coloring pages or make a letter G classroom book. For related images visit: Letter G Printable Materials
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
*Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter G's: Have the children find all the letter G's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter G's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
Advanced independent handwriting practice - advanced Kindergarten and above:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a gerbil behind the page or print a gerbil coloring page
1. Drawing and writng paper Encourage children to draw and color a gerbil and write letter G g. Share some images of real gerbils to inspire the children.
3. Crafts > Gerbil >Select and adapt a craft in the mouse theme
Letter G coloring page
Print a gerbil coloring image behind the letter G
Letter G Activity Worksheet & Mini Book
(soft G sound)
Available in D'Nealian & Standard block formats
Drawing & Writing Paper: draw a gerbil & write letter G g
Gerbil coloring page
(print behind letter G page or lined-paper)
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/g/gerbil.htm|