Alphabet Letter G Gerbil
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Crafts > Letter G
Animals > Mammals > Rodents > Desert | Pets
Holidays and Events > Pets Events
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter G (soft g sound).
Animals > Mammals > Rodents > Desert > Pets > Gerbil
The gerbil is a very small rodent that looks like a mouse with a furry tail. Gerbils live in burrows in the deserts of Africa and Asia. They are often kept as pets. Online resources:
* Resources on Pet Gerbils at Humanesociety.org
* Gerbil at Wikipedia.org
Alphabet Activity > Letter G is for Gerbil
Present and display your choice of printable activities in materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter G coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a gerbil coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter G words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter G's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the goat image. Write the word goat on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6: Alphabet - beginning letter G (soft G sound)
Present the Letter G Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used as part of Letter G program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related G words.
Discuss other letter G words (soft g sound) and images found in the worksheet. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter G posters and coloring pages or make a letter G classroom book. For related images visit: Letter G Printable Activities.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter G's: Have the children find all the letter G's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Advanced independent handwriting practice - advanced Kindergarten and above:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a gerbil behind the page or print a gerbil coloring page
2. Drawing and writng paper: Encourage children to draw and color a gerbil and write letter G g. Share some images of real gerbils to inspire the children.
3. Crafts > Gerbil > Select and adapt a craft in the mouse theme
Letter G coloring page
Letter G Worksheet & Mini Book
(soft G sound)
D'Nealian & Standard block
Drawing & Writing Paper
Gerbil coloring page
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/g/gerbil.htm|