Alphabet Letter J Jack-o'-lantern
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Alphabet > Letter J | Holidays
& Events > Oct. > Halloween | Nutrition > Vegetables > Pumpkins | Seasons > Autumn
Holidays > Halloween > Decoration | Nutrition > Pumpkin >
A jack-o'-lantern is a pumpkin or turnip that is hollowed out and has a face carved into it and a candle in the bottom. Jack-o'-lanterns are used at Halloween as lamps or decorations.
Activity: Pumpkins the Scary Squash > Visit the link above for a fascinating presentation for children about pumpkins and the origins of jack-o'-lanterns.
Visit the pumpkin theme for printable activities and crafts related to jack-o'-lanterns.
Online Jigsaw Puzzle > J jack-'o-lantern > Skills > Problem solving skills and alphabet letter recognition. Here is an online online jigsaw puzzle the children will enjoy. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the Change Cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Alphabet Activities > Letter J is for Jack-o'-lantern
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter J coloring page D'Nealian or Standard block and a jack-o'-lantern coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter J words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter J's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter J's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the image and write letter J j and the word jack-o'-lantern on the margins.
Children Ages 3+ to 6: Present the Letter J Worksheet and Mini-Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words.
Display letter posters and coloring pages or make a letter J classroom book. For related images visit: Letter J Printable Activities.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter J's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their handwriting practice worksheet.
Encourage children to trace the dotted letters, and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Encourage children to color the jack-o'-lantern image after handwriting practice.
Letter J Word Search & Handwriting Practice > The six-word search game features a jack-o'-lantern and letter J words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an jack-o'-lantern behind the page or print a jack-o'-lantern coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color a jack-o'-lantern and write letter J j.