Alphabet Letter L Leopard Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
> Letter L > L is for
Mammals | Endangered > Leopard
Holidays and Events >
*June > Zoo and Aquarium Month
*December 27th > Visit the Zoo Day
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter L.
Animals > Wild Mammals > Big Cats > Endangered > Leopard
Review the leopard theme lesson plan and craft to present additional information, images, crafts other educational activities.
Alphabet Activity > Alphabet Letter L is for Leopard
Present the letter L leopard six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view letter L in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display your option of letter L Printable Activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter L coloring page
D'Nealian or Standard Block and a leopard coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter L words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter L's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter L's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the leopard image. Write the word leopard on the finished coloring page.
*Coloring Activity: Encourage the children to color the image in the coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Letter L words (initial consonant sound): Present the Letter L Activity Worksheet and Mini Book. This worksheet and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter L program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related L words.
Discuss other letter L words and images: First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with example. You can print letter L in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display other L posters and coloring pages or even make a letter L classroom book using coloring images or color posters. Visit Letter L Printable Materials to make your choice.
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter L's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page (first presentation) or handwriting practice worksheet.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter L's: Have the children find all the letter L's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter L's and then discuss the locations with the worksheet.
Letter L Word Search & Handwriting Practice (select six word version)
The six-word search game features a leopard and letter L words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a leopard behind the page or print a leopard coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper to engage children in making an original drawing of a leopard and practice writing letter L in upper and lower case independently.
*coloring and writing materials
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/l/leopard.htm