Alphabet Letter M Moon Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Alphabet > Letter M > M is for Moon
Community helpers | Careers > Astronaut
Holidays and Events >
*May > Space Day
*July 20th > 1st Moon Landing
*Oct. 4-10 > World Space Week
Science > Outer Space
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter M.
Science > Planetary Science > The Moon
1. The moon is the planet's Earth natural satellite. A satellite is a heavenly body that moves around a planet or another larger body.
2. The moon revolves around the earth from west to east in about 28 days. The moon does not give off light. Instead, its shine comes from the light it reflects from the sun.
3. On July 20th, 1969 was the first manned moon landing on the Apollo 11 mission by American astronauts.
Visit the Kids Zone 4 > The Moon for educational videos and games at the Special Space Learning courtesy of NASA.
Visit the outer space theme to include this lesson plan and related activities.
Alphabet Activity > Letter M is for Moon
Present and display your option of letter M Printable Activities in the materials column.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter M
1. Present the Letter M Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Letter M words: This page and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter M program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related M words.
Display letter M posters and coloring pages or make a letter M classroom book. For related images visit: Letter M Printable Materials.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter M's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter M's: Have the children find all the letter M's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter M Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The word search game features the moon and letter M words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a moon scene behind the page.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a moon scene and write letter M m.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/m/moon.htm