Letter M Moon Theme
Instructions and Suggestions
Letter M > M is
Community helpers | Careers > Astronaut
Holidays and Events >
*May > Space Day
*July 20th > 1st Moon Landing
Science > Outer Space
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter M.
Science > Planetary Science > The Moon
1. The moon is the planet's Earth natural satellite. A satellite is a heavenly body that moves around a planet or another larger body.
2. The moon revolves around the earth from west to east in about 28 days. The moon does not give off light. Instead, its shine comes from the light it reflects from the sun.
3. On July 20th, 1969 was the first manned moon landing on the Apollo 11 mission by American astronauts.
Visit the outer space theme to include this lesson plan and related activities.
Alphabet Activity > Letter M is for Moon
Present and display your option of letter M printable activities in the materials column.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter M
1. Present the Letter M Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Letter M words: This page and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter M program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related M words.
Discuss other letter M words (long e sound) and images (refer to activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with examples. You can print letter M in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter M posters and coloring pages or make a letter M classroom book. For related images visit: Letter M Printable Materials.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
*Trace letter M's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter M's: Have the children find all the letter M's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter M's and then discuss the locations with the worksheet.
Letter M Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The word search game features the moon and letter M words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a monkey behind the page or print a monkey coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a monkey and write letter M m. Share some images of a real monkey to inspire the children.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/m/moon.htm