Holidays & Events > June 8 > World Oceans Day
Alphabet Letter O Otter
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter O > short o sound.
Alphabet Activity > Letter O is for
* Print a letter O coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and an otter coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter O words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter O's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the otter image. Write the word otter on the finished coloring page.
Children ages 3+: Present the Letter O Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related O words.
You can also display letter O posters and coloring pages or make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: Letter O Printable Materials.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter O's: Have the children find all the letter O's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound) > A four word search game features the otter and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an otter behind the page or print an otter coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper to engage children in making an original drawing of an otter and practice writing letter O in upper and lower case independently.
Crafts > DLTK's Printable Otter Craft > A cute otter craft available in coloring and color format using a toilet paper tube.
Letter O Otter Online Jigsaw Puzzle
Otter online jigsaw puzzle bilingual
Letter O coloring page
Letter O Worksheet & Mini Book
(short O sound)
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word Search & Writing
Drawing & writing paper
Otter coloring pages