Alphabet Letter R Rat
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Alphabet > Letter R > R is for Rat
Animals > Mammals > Pets > Rodents | Rats
Holidays & Events >
* Jan. or Feb. > Chinese New Year
* Apr. 4th > World Rat Day
Online jigsaw puzzles > Alphabet
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter R. The presentation ideally should be part of rat themed activities and/or crafts.
Animals > Mammals > Rats
A rat is a small mammal with a pointed face and a very long tail. Rats are rodents that look like mice, but are larger. They are often kept as pets.
The rat is one of the twelve animals represented in the Chinese zodiac.
Online resources >
Rats > Wikipedia.org
Resources for caring for pet rats > Humanesociety.org
Alphabet Activity > Letter R is for Rat
Present the letter R rat six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view letter P in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display your option of letter R alphabet and handwriting printable materials listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter R coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font. Optional: Select and print a rat coloring page image on the opposite blank side of the coloring image that is age appropriate.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter R's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can color and trace the letter R's following instructions. Use finger paints, crayons or water colors. Write the word rat on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter R sound
Present the letter R activity worksheet and mini-book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Find the letter R's: Have the children find all the letter R's in upper and lower case on the worksheet words and encourage them to circle these first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter R's and then discuss the locations with the worksheet.
Discuss other letter R words and images: First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with example. You can print letter R in a different bright color to make it stand out. Visit Letter R Printable Materials to make your choice.
Coloring and Sticker Activity: Encourage the children to decorate the large letter R images incorporating the stickers on the bottom of the page and the rat sticker on the craft template. Older children can use the stickers to complete the mini-book.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Letter R Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The four and six word search game features a rat and letter R words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced Writing Kindergarten/Grade 1:
If children have practiced with assisted dotted worksheet previously then encourage independent handwriting.
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a rat behind the page or print a rat coloring page to color after writing practice.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a rat and write letter R r.
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/r/rat.htm|