Digraph Sh Shark
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Alphabet > Letter
S > Consonant Digraph Sh | Animals > Ocean > Shark | Holidays & Events > Jan. 26 > Australia
Day | Jun 8 > World Oceans Day - Jun > Zoo & Aquarium Month | Seasons > Summer > Beach
Level: Kindergarten and first grade after the basic alphabet sounds have been mastered.
Visit the shark theme for printable activities and crafts to incorporate within this alphabet presentation.
Consonant Sh Digraph Presentation:
Present the digraph Sh shark six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view digraph Sh in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display your choice of printable materials in the materials column:
Explain that when letter S and H "tag along together" they make the Sh sound. Invite children to make the sound.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print this digraph Sh coloring page in D'Nealian or Standard block and shark coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other digraph Sh words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace digraphs Sh in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can color and trace the digraph Sh's. After completing the letter coloring, encourage children to color the shark image.
Children Ages 3+ and older > Consonant Sh Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program features four Sh words: shark, sheep, shepherd, shoes. These materials can be used to reinforce learning this digraph. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Find the Sh sound: Have the children find all the letter Sh's in upper and lower case on the worksheet and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace the Sh's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the digraph. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page (first presentation) or handwriting practice.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters, and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Discuss other letter Sh words and images found in the worksheet. You can also display other Sh posters or coloring pages and make a classroom book. Visit Letter Sh Printable Activities and coloring pages to make your choice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a shark behind the page or print a shark coloring page and practice writing Sh.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw, and color a shark and write digraph Sh.