Alphabet Letter S Star Starfish
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Animals > Ocean | Seashore > Starfish
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter S for a star theme or starfish theme.
Animals > Ocean | Seashore > Star fish or Sea Star
Visit the starfish theme lesson plan activities for animal facts, online learning resources, crafts and other activities to incorporate with this alphabet presentation.
Outer Space theme | Shapes > Star
A star has a number of meanings, here are two most common:
1. Any of a vast number of heavenly or celestial bodies visible from earth as points of light in the night sky.
2. a design or shape with five or six points that emerge from a center.
More information and images at Wiktionary
Alphabet Activity > Letter S is for Star or Starfish (Sea Star)
Present the letter S six-piece online jigsaw puzzle featuring the starfish, sand dollar and sea snail to practice problem solving and view letter S in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display this your option of printable activities in the materials column.
Children age 3 and under >
Print a letter S coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and select and print a starfish coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter S words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter S's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter S's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the ocean theme image. Write the word sand dollar on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6: Alphabet - beginning letter S
Print present the Letter S Activity Worksheet and Mini-Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used as part of a Letter S program of activities to reinforce letter recognition, initial handwriting practice and to identify related S words.
Discuss other letter S words and images found in the worksheet. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter S posters and coloring pages or make a letter S classroom book. For related images visit: Letter S Printable Activities.
*Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter S's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter S's: Have the children find all the letter S's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter S Word Search & Handwriting Practice > The four-word search features a star, the six-word search features a starfish and letter S words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a star or starfish behind the page or print a starfish | sea star coloring page the materials column.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a star or starfish and write letter S s. Share some images of a real starfish to inspire the children.
Online jigsaw puzzle > Letter S
Sand dollar, sea snail, starfish
Letter S coloring page
Letter S Worksheet & Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word search & writing
Drawing & writing paper
Starfish | Sea Star Coloring Pages
1 | 2
|To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/s/starfish-seastar.htm|