Alphabet Letter W Watermelon Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter W.
Nutrition > Fruits > Watermelon
1. A watermelon is a large, round fruit with a green rind and sweet pulp that is red or pink. Watermelons have many seeds.
2. The plant or vine that bears this fruit.
Visit the watermelon theme lesson plan activities and crafts to incorporate this alphabet activity.
Alphabet Activity > Letter W is for Watermelon
Present and display this cute color poster and your option of letter W printable activities in the materials column.
* Hide a real watermelon and show it at this point -- the larger the better for impact!
* Allow the children to come close and touch smell and have them describe what they see: colors, etc.
* Ask the children if they've ever tasted watermelon before.
* them to describe the experience. Was it juicy, slushy, cold, refreshing? What about the seeds? Do we eat the seeds, why? why not? What other fruit they eat has seeds inside?
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter W coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block and a watermelon coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter W words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter W's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter W's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the watermelon image and write the word watermelon on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Present the Letter W Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words.
Discuss other letter W words and images found in the worksheet. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display posters and coloring pages or make a letter W classroom book. For related images visit: Letter W Printable Activities.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter W's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter W's: Have the children find all the letter W's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter W Word Search & Handwriting Practice: The four word search game features a watermelon and letter W words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a watermelon behind the page or print a watermelon coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color a watermelon and write letter W w.
|Alphabet > Letter W |
Holidays & Events> Mar > Nat'l Nutrition Month - Jun > Fruit & Vegetable Month - Aug. 3rd > Watermelon Day |
Nutrition > Fruits |
Seasons > Summer |
Related activity: Bible Activity