Alphabet Letter X Fox Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
Letter X > Ox
ends with an X
Mammals > Farm > Cattle
Fairy Tales | Legends >
Holidays and Events >
*Jan. or Feb. > Chinese New Year
*June 28 > Paul Bunyan's Day - Blue Ox Babe
*October 12th > World Farm Animals Day
Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter X.
1. Animals > Mammals > Farm > Working Animal > Transport
An ox is one of a breed of large cattle used mainly in farms to pull heavy loads and other tasks. Oxen is the plural of ox.
The ox is one of the 12 animals represented in the Chinese zodiac, therefore appropriate to present for a Chinese New Year theme.
Visit the cattle theme lesson plan activities for ox crafts and other educational resources to incorporate with this alphabet presentation.
2. Alphabet Activity > Ox ends with X
Present and display your option of letter X printable activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter X coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and an ox coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter X words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter X's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter X's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the fox coloring page and write letter X x and the word fox and underline letter X.
1. Present the Letter X Activity Worksheet and Mini-Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Letter X words: This page and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter X program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related X words.
Discuss other letter X words and images (refer to activity worksheet above): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and ending sound and write them on a board (dry erase board) as the children come up with examples. You can print letter X in a different bright color to make it stand out. If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter X posters and coloring pages or make a letter X classroom book. For related images visit: Letter X Printable Materials
*Finger and Pencil Tracing:
*Trace letter X's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
*Find the letter X's: Have the children find all the letter X's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter X's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
For advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an ox behind the page or print an ox coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color an fox and write letter X x. Share some images of a real ox to inspire the children.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/x/ox.htm