Alphabet Letter Y Yo-yo Theme
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Activities [in Spanish]||Materials|
Alphabet > Letter Y |
Inventions Kids Love > Toys and games
Toys and Games > The Yo-yo
The yo-yo is a popular toy and its origin is uncertain. It may have originated in China.
Information and images about the Yo-yo:
* The Duncan Yo-yo is inducted in the National Toy Hall of Fame
* Yo-yo at Wikipedia.org
* The Museum of Yo-yo History
Alphabet Activity: Alphabet Letter Y is for Yo-yo
Present and display your option of alphabet printable materials listed in the materials column.
* Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter Y's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page (first presentation) or handwriting practice worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters, and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter Y's: Have the children find all the letter Y's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter Y's and then discuss the locations with the poster.
* Activity: Encourage the children to color the image in the coloring page or worksheet.
Letter Y words (initial consonant sound): Letter Y Worksheet and Mini Book These materials can be used as part of Letter Y program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related letter Y words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Display other Y posters and coloring pages or even make a letter Y classroom book using coloring images or color posters. Visit letter Y printable materials to make your choice.
Letter Y Word Search & Handwriting Practice
The four word search game features a letter Y words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a yo-yo behind the page or print a yo-yo theme coloring page below.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color a yo-yo and write letter Y y.
Yo yo coloring pages - click on image to open and print.
| Ages 3+
Letter Y Worksheet & Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word search & handwriting
Drawing & Writing Paper