The penguin is such a fun animal to learn
about, particularly during the winter holidays or winter season.
These online activities and resources can be incorporated to learn some basic facts about this amazing
sea bird, enjoy an easy
craft, and other learning activities.
Visit the related activities in the activities column.
Science and Social Studies: Learning about Penguins: animal facts
1. Encourage a discussion and dialogue: Ask the children what do
they know about penguins. Proceed to discuss some basic facts
for young children:
* The penguin is a large water bird with webbed feet that lives
in colder regions of the Southern Hemisphere (show in a map or
* Penguins have short feathers that grow
close together to keep their bodies warm, and only birds have
* Penguins spend most of their lives in
* They can't fly and instead of wings they have flippers that help them
dive and swim fast underwater.
2. Online jigsaw puzzle: Penguin
Skills: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish
Here is an online puzzle the children will enjoy with a fun penguin image. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change
cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Visit Kidzone.ws Penguins
Ages 4+ and fun for the entire family:
Make sure to visit Kidzone's Penguins to review and expand on
activities and choose those that meet your needs.
Children under four years of age can enjoy some additional basic
realistic photos, coloring pages, songs, and poems.