Use these materials as part of the Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
review other topics listed in the themes column.
Activity > Colorful Trees Flash Cards Game (Ages 2 - 6)
The cards feature the primary and secondary colors.
Instructions and preparation >
* Print the cards preferably in card stock or brochure
paper. After the game, laminate the color version to
Each image is in color and beside it in black &
white to color. Keep these
images together when cutting the cards for the game, and fold
so only one side
Activity > Part 1 > Game
1. Show the color image side first, and ask: "What color
is this Truffula tree?
2. Once child has identified the color, turn the card so only
the black and white image shows.
3. Ask child: "What color was the Truffula tree I
just showed you?"
4. What other things are ... yellow?. Proceed with each
color steps 1, 2, 3.
Activity > Part 2 > Coloring
1. Encourage child to color the
images to match the one next to it.You may want to do the coloring activity two images per day
for very young children.
Other ideas for using flash cards after the game activities above >
* Cut and separate matching images.
* Turn the cards face down so image is not showing.
* Take turns flipping over two card. at a time, if they match the
player keeps the cards.
* At the end of the game, the player with the most matched cards
* Colors Accordion Mini-Book >
Place the color cards next to each other horizontally and tape
to make an accordion mini book.
* Color Banner - Wall Display - Frame >
Paste the cards to a strip of construction paper or frame vertically
or horizontally to display at home or classroom.
Activity > Colors Words Handwriting Worksheets >
(older preschoolers ages 5+ - grade 1),
companion colors word worksheets. Practice tracing color
words. There is a color
version and coloring version. Standard block or D'Nealian
Colorful Trees Flash Cards
& Coloring Game
Cards 1 | 2
Word Handwriting Worksheets
Available in color or
Standard Block or D'Nealian handwriting format
* white paper, card stock or construction paper
* coloring materials