This is one of a collection of easy-to-
bag puppets for children ages 2+
and older. It can quickly become one of your favorite
"teaching and learning helpers" and a great homemade toy!
If you don't have paper bags, that's O.K., because it can also be a
craft stick puppet printed on card stock.
Teaching Aid - Color Version >
The color version, is meant for the educator (parent, preschool
teacher, child care provider or baby-sitter) to use as a teaching
helper. Laminate for durability. The black and white version can be printed to color craft paper.
Ideas and suggestions:
- Story time helper: The puppet can be your assistant storyteller and reader. It can
bring excitement and enthusiasm into the reading time.
This puppet "helper" can be one of the characters, an ask questions to the children during and
after the reading. Later the children can have fun assembling
their own puppet using the black and white version templates.
- Alphabet activities for letter D Dog or P Puppy > Introduce or reinforce letter recognition and early handwriting
skills. You can print the upper and lower case letter on the
body of the puppet.
- Animal facts > Present basic facts about the dog. The dog is one of the
twelve animals represented in the Chinese
Zodiac, therefore, appropriate for presenting Chinese New Year.
- Introduce related and new themes: Review topics for this puppet in the themes above.
- Nutrition and health | Character
Education | Safety
The puppet can be a great aid in those special times when parents need
a fun helper,
and give that little nudge and friendly reminder to have the
children cooperate with chores, learn how to
dress themselves, potty training, alleviate the anxiety related to the
doctor or dentist visits, or to help introduce a new caregiver, meal
times, and safety issues, etc.
- Music and Physical Activity
'Conductor' > Singing, Dancing, Marching, Finger plays >
These puppets are great to get the children in the mood for music and
Craft Version and Homemade Toy > Coloring version
- Print black & white templates. This version can also be printed directly on color craft
paper or construction paper to match a particular character in a book,
for a example a story with a "Red Dog."
- This version allows the children to be creative and personalize
the puppet. Provide a
variety of art materials to color, paint and/or decorate the puppet.
- The template can be colored and decorated before or after
assembly, whichever you or the children prefer. My experience
has been that many children like to color and decorate after the
pieces are glued to the bag.
- Assembly instructions: Here is an illustration of how to assemble the craft. Cut about 2 to 2/12 inches off the bottom of the bag or
adjust based on the body template. This makes the
puppet more comfortable and manageable for the children.
- Craft Stick Puppet
Version: Print the templates using card stock or heavy duty construction
paper. Tape a craft stick (Popsicle stick |
tongue depressor), or an unsharpened pencil on the
back of the finished puppet.
|Dog or Puppy
Paper Bag Puppet
head & tail | body
Black & White
head & tail | body
Dog printable activities
Puppy printable activities
*paper or construction paper or card stock
*something to color or paint with
*lunch size paper bag or craft stick