> Letter B
> B is for Bear or
Letter T >
T is for Teddy Bear
Animals > Mammals >
Colors > Ireland's National Colors:
Green, White, Orange
St. Patrick's Day or Ireland Theme Teddy or Bear Craft
* March 17th > St.
Patrick's Day | Irish
American Heritage Month
Numbers > Counting, Sizing, Sorting
Online Jigsaw Puzzles > Ireland's National Flag
Shapes > Circles, Ovals,
& Rectangles in the flag
Toys > Teddy Bears
During these activities
children can learn some basic facts about: (choose those you
would like to include in the activities)
1. St. Patrick's Day - National Holiday in Ireland and/or a
This particular teddy bear craft is dressed up for St. Patrick's Day
and features Ireland's national flag. March is also Irish-American Heritage Month, so a "marriage" of the teddy
bear and St. Patrick's Day activities feels appropriate to celebrate
2. Learn about the origins of the Teddy Bear
3. Learn basic facts about real bears - science
4. Alphabet activities for letter B is for Bear or T is for
5. Shapes, colors and number/pre-math activities during the craft assembly
St. Patrick's Day Basic Information:
St. Patrick's Day honors the saint who spread the Christian faith in
Ireland in the fourth century. Legend has it that he used the green shamrock with
its three leaves to explain the Trinity -- the idea that God, Jesus,
and the Holy Spirit are one. Today, people of Irish heritage
celebrate this day with parades and "wearing green."
More details about St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, and the holiday
Teddy Bear Background:
Visit the link above for brief story of the teddy bear, an American treasure (and
loved the world over), named after the 26th U.S. President Theodore
A teddy bear theme is welcomed for almost every type of holiday or
special occasions throughout the year. One of the special
qualities of teddy bears is that they provide comfort to young and
young at heart.
Other alphabet printable materials
are provided in the materials column as well as links to related
Activity #1: St. Patrick's Day - Irish Teddy Bear Craft ( 9 pieces)
NOTE: The body template can be glued to a CD.
Prepare an introduction for the theme, holiday or event and what
will be presented before starting the craft activities: such as
a brief introduction to St. Patrick's Day, basic facts about Ireland,
etc. Make craft ahead of time, attach to a craft stick and use
as a puppet to help to make the presentation fun for the children.
Review printing and assembly options that best meet your needs.
Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested
Printing and assembly options for Bear or Teddy Craft
Option 1: Print color template, cut out,
conduct your choice of learning activities below and
Option 2: Print black & white template. Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed
Other decorations and ideas:
1. The body circle template can be glued to a CD.
2. Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration
or holiday ornament.
3. Replace eye template with wiggly eyes and/or glue pom pom for
4. Tape the craft to a craft stick (Popsicle stick).
5. Glue to a folded paper or /card stock for an
instant greeting card.
6. Write a greeting message or add a picture to the back or small picture
in the bears paws.
7. Glue the craft to a standard small shopping bag or white lunch paper bag and
add a handle made with construction paper (double or triple folded),
for an instant party bag.
Learning Activities to conduct before
Bear Head Craft assembly:
Choose from the activities below you feel are are appropriate for the
Shapes & Color
1. Identify the main shapes for all pieces: circles, ovals,
[arms have a close resemblance to the crescent shape, if you
prefer keep separate for this activity to avoid confusion). Discuss the colors, on the template
(light browns, green, orange) or the
colors chosen by the children to color the pieces. Some children
like to discuss the colors as they choose them while coloring or
painting the templates.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
1. Sorting/Sizing/Categorizing: Have the children sort
those templates that have specific shapes by size. Have the children arrange the sorted shapes in piles from smallest to largest.
2. Counting: Count how many shapes are in each pile/size
(include counting the eyes printed on the face circle). You may want to write
the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint
the children with printed numbers.
Proceed with craft assembly. Show the small image of the
finished craft featured in the template to help the children see how the finished
craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces.
1. Assemble head pieces - ears to head (in front or behind the
template and hat
1. Body Circle (glue to CD if desired)
2. Feet & arms
3. Glue head over white area of leaves collar
4. Ireland flag on white "shirt" area.
completing the craft the children can hold their finished craft while
conducting some of the activities below.
Alphabet lesson plan printable activities:
Visit the link to include alphabet activities.
B is for Bear
* Letter T is for
Learn about Bears:
1. Animal facts activity Alphabet Letter B Bear flash card or
2. Online educational resources
Online Jigsaw Puzzle: Ireland's
Easy six piece puzzle. Click on change cut button to change
shape and amount of pieces.
Irish Teddy Bear Craft (Small)
Body can be glued to
Patrick's Day Irish Teddy Bear Craft
Black & White
Alphabet printable activities:
B is for Bear or
T is for Teddy Bear