Pumpkin Teddy Bear Craft
For Harvest | Autumn | Thanksgiving | Halloween
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
*Letter B > B is for Bear
*Letter P > P is for Pumpkin
*Letter T > T is for Teddy bear
Animals > Mammals > Forest >
Colors > Light Brown, Orange, Green
Pumpkin Teddy or Bear Craft
Holidays and Events >
*Sept. 9th > Teddy Bear Day
*Oct. 31st > Halloween
*Nov. > Thanksgiving
Shapes > Circles, Ovals (Crescent-
Numbers > Counting, Sizing, Sorting
Pumpkin Theme >
* Nutrition > Vegetables
* Seasons > Autumn
Toys > Teddy Bear Theme
Theme 1 > Teddy Bears or Bears
During these activities children can learn some basic facts about bears and/or a famous toy, the teddy bear. This particular bear is dressed up as a pumpkin for a costume party, so it is suitable for a Halloween, Thanksgiving, Autumn or Harvest theme.
Teddy Bear Background:
Visit the link above for a brief story of the teddy bear, an American treasure (and loved the world over), named after the 26th U.S. President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt.
A teddy bear theme is welcomed for almost every type of holiday or special occasions throughout the year. One of the special qualities of teddy bears is that they provide comfort to young and young at heart, so this theme is also useful for providing comfort in times of crisis: grief, loss, illness, or any stress related situation.
Other alphabet printable materials are provided in the materials column as well as links to related activities.
Theme 2 > Pumpkins and Jack-o'-Lanterns
Review the theme for lesson plans and printable activities to incorporate with this craft.
Activity #1: Pumpkin Bear or Teddy Bear Craft ( 9 pieces) Ages 2+
NOTE: The body template can be glued to a CD.
Prepare an introduction for the theme, holiday or event and what will be presented before starting the craft activities: such as a harvest, nutrition: vegetable/pumpkin or Halloween theme. A paper puppet or nursery rhyme activity can help get things started!
Review printing and assembly options that best meet your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options for Bear or Teddy Craft
Option 1: Print color template #1, cut out, conduct your choice of learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white template #1. Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed as above.
Other decorations and ideas:
1. The body circle template can be glued to a CD.
2. Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration or holiday ornament.
3. Replace eye template with wiggly eyes and/or glue pom pom for the nose.
4. Tape the craft to a craft stick (Popsicle stick).
5. Glue to a folded paper or /card stock for an instant greeting card.
6. Write a greeting message or add a picture to the back or small picture in the bears body.
7. Write letter Bb (Bear) or Tt (Teddy) in the body of the bear.
8. Halloween: Glue the craft to a standard small shopping bag or lunch paper bag and add a handle made with construction paper (double or triple folded), for an instant trick or treat bag.
9. Make a handprint wreath and add the teddy to the bottom for a finishing touch.
Learning Activities to conduct before Bear Head Craft assembly:
Choose from the activities below you feel are are appropriate for the children.
Shapes & Color Activity:
1. Identify the main shapes for all pieces: circles, ovals,
[arms have a close resemblance to the crescent shape, if you
prefer keep separate for this activity to avoid confusion). Discuss the colors, on the template
(light browns, green, orange) or the
colors chosen by the children to color the pieces. Some children
like to discuss the colors as they choose them while coloring or
painting the templates.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/crafts/animals/wild/bearcdpumpkin.htm