> Letter D >
D is for Donkey
> Desert >
Colors > Gray
and Events >
| April > Easter
2nd > World Farm Animals
> The Nativity |
Nursery Rhymes >
This nursery rhyme is a fun way to introduce the donkey
and related topics in the themes column.
Activity > Read and Sing Nursery Rhyme Donkey, Donkey Old and
Print, read or sing the nursery rhyme using the color
poster. You can use the gray
donkey paper puppet to assist with the presentation. Make sure children
understand the meaning of all the words. For example,
explain that the word morn is a shorter version of the word
Activity > Coloring Page Activity > Focus letter D, color
gray and rhyming words.
* Print and
* Explain that the word donkey starts with the D
sound. Have children find and underline the uppercase
and lower case letter d's in the text.
* Read the rhyme again, and help identify the rhyming
* Encourage child to
color the donkey gray and to color the rest of the image.
* Discuss what time of the day is this rhyme happening
> the morning. What happens in the morning?
We wake up.
* To reinforce, read the rhyme at least once a day during the week
using the finished coloring poster.
* Place the poster in a place of honor at child's eye level.
Review these donkey literature ideas.
Donkey Nursery Rhyme
* crayons, color pencils or markers
paper bag puppet
(gray, brown &