Holidays & Events > Feb 14th > Valentine's Day - Apr > National Frog Month | Numbers | Math > Shapes > Heart Shape Animals | Seasons > Spring
Frog Craft |Toad | Learn Heart Shape Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a frog or
toad almost entirely
assembled with heart shapes (except the
eyes). Many basic skills can be addressed during and after
the craft assembly process. Other printable support materials and links to related
activities are provided.
Review your options for printing the craft as well assembly options that best meets your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below.
Printing and assembly options for the craft:
Option 1: Print craft color template (for a frog) and assist with scissor cutting when needed. Encourage older children to cut out their own templates as much as possible. Conduct learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white templates. Children can color and decorate. Show children real images of frogs and toads. Visit this activity to incorporate the physical differences between a frog and a toad during the craft assembly. Decide ahead of time which colors will be used and additional materials to incorporate.
Option 3: For large groups or to recycle left over materials, print black & white templates directly on green paper for a frog theme or brown for a toad. Children can add other details such as stripes, spotsand materials to create the bumpy texture of a toad.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
1. Replace eyes template with large plastic wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template (for children ages 3+ only)
2. Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back to use as decoration or ornament.
3. Attach to a craft stick, new pencil or sock for an instant puppet.
Activities 2: Basic Skills Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose those activities you feel are appropriate for the ages of children.
Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and color on the template if using the color template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
1. Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by size - smallest to largest.
2. Counting: Count how many of each size there are and how many in total to assemble the craft. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers. in this activity you may want to also count the eyes.
Suggested assembly: (after learning activities)
Note: The hearts for the eyes can be cut-out as one piece. Ahead of time, pre-paste eyes template (or wiggly plastic eyes) inside hearts and assemble hind legs for toddlers/younger preschoolers.
Review the following steps with the children and they can refer to the small image on the template. It is helpful to display and assemble one in front of large groups by steps.
1. Paste eyes (or wiggly eyes) on the two connected hearts.
2. Paste assembled eyes centered above body.
3. Paste small feet hearts to elongated leg hearts. Paste the remaining two heart feet aligned to the drawn legs on the body as illustrated
4. Indicate to the children to align the black dot found on the upper hind legs to the dots found on the body and paste.
Activity 3: Alphabet Printable Activities > Letter F Frog or Letter T Toad
Activity 4: Science & Social Studies: Learning about Frogs and Toads
Activity 5:Online Story time > Select an online story in the frog and toad sections.
Other activities: Include poems, songs (music), literature or nursery rhymes of your choice. Movement and exercise: play leap frog.
Hearts Frog or Toad Craft