Mouse Craft or Greeting Card - Heart Shapes
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
*Letter G > G is for Gerbil
*Letter M > M is for Mouse
Animals > Mammals > Rodents: Gerbil | Mouse | Rat
Books > Mouse theme
Crafts > Hearts Mouse with body
Colors > Pink | Magenta or Gray | Pink or any color the craft is made
Numbers / Math > Counting, Sizing, Sorting
Shapes > Heart
Holidays & Events >
*Jan. or Feb. > Chinese New Year (Rat)
Ages 2.5 + to 6
The mouse is an animal that is a certain favorite for young children. Visit the mouse theme for various related activities.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft or greeting card of a mouse almost entirely made with heart shapes (except the eyes & whiskers) and during the process many skills can be addressed. Many other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
The craft can also be adapted to a gerbil or rat theme. The rat is one of the twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac, therefore, appropriate for Chinese New Year celebrations.
The craft is appropriate for a Valentine's Day celebration as well. There is an optional greeting card templates option. The craft is available in two color combinations as shown in the images or black line format to color in.
Activity #1: Hearts Mouse Craft Ages 2.5+ or Greeting Card Format (8 pieces)
Tell the children they are going to have fun with activities related to a wonderful and fun animal, the mouse!
Review your options for printing the craft or greeting card format as well assembly options that best meet your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options for the craft:
1. Whisker templates is two rectangles cut diagonally are optional. The whiskers can be made with yarn or or pipe cleaners. Use hole punch, make two holes above the nose and insert two pieces of yarn or pipe cleaners (about 3 inches each) through the front and then back. Place tape on the back to hold in place.
2. Greeting card templates are smaller than the craft template.
Option 1: Print craft color template of your choice (one page template) or greeting card format (two page template), cut out, conduct learning activities below and assemble. Greeting card template pieces are smaller.
Option 2: Print black and white template. Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed as above.
Option 3: For Large Groups or to recycle left over materials.
Print black & white template on card stock and use as a master template. Trace the patterns directly on construction paper, left-over paper, fun foam to obtain pieces needed in coordinating colors.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
1. Trace and cut pieces on fun foam, use wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
3. Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
4. Puppet: Glue the craft to a small standard lunch paper bag or to a craft stick for an instant puppet. Decorate the paper bag with additional hearts, buttons, etc.
5. Optional - Whiskers: use yarn or pipe cleaners as recommended above.
Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose those activities you feel are appropriate on the ages of children.
Shapes & Colors Activity:
1. Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
template if using the color template. Ask the children to
identify the colors they've used to color/decorate the template.
*Glue or glue stick