Panda Craft | Circle Shape |
Alphabet Letter P
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Year | Endangered Animals
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
Alphabet > Letter
P > Letter P is for
Animals > Mammals > Bears > Endangered > Giant Panda
Colors > Black and white
Crafts > Panda Craft
Holidays and Events >
*Jan. or Feb. > Chinese New Year
*June > Zoo & Aquarium Month
Multicultural > China
Numbers Early Math > counting, sizing, sorting
Shapes > Circle
Age group: Older toddlers to early
The giant panda is truly a unique bear that is recognized and loved the world over. The giant panda is revered in its homeland, the country of China.
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a giant panda (two versions) entirely assembled with circle shapes. The large craft version has chest and arms template that can be pre-pasted over circle body. During and after the assembly process many basic skills can be addressed. Other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided.
The panda theme crafts are appropriate for many educational topics listed in the themes column.
Activity #1: Circles Panda Crafts
Circles Panda Craft 1 (head only can be pasted to a CD ROM) - this version has large pieces and is suitable for older toddlers to under age 6 and large groups (Note: pre-paste small eyes for toddlers)
Circles Panda - Ages 3.5+
(version with body)
Review your options for printing the craft version of your choice as well assembly options that best meet your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options for the craft:
Option 1: Print craft color templates of your choice and assist with scissor cutting when needed. Encourage older children to cut out their own templates as much as possible. Conduct learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white templates. Children will only need a black crayon or marker. Indicate to the children which templates to color black.
Option 3: For large groups or to recycle left over materials.
1. Print black & white templates on card stock and use as a master template. Trace the patterns directly on black and left-over paper, construction paper or fun foam sheets to obtain pieces needed.
2. Panda craft with body: For younger children, pre-paste the chest and arms templates on the body circle and distribute. Suggestion: paste the arms templates at the shoulder so arms can be moved up and down.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
1. Replace eyes template with medium plastic wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template (for children ages 3+ only)
3. Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back to use as decoration or ornament.
4. Puppet: For the head craft tape it to craft stick (Popsicle stick or tongue depressor) for an instant hand puppet or make a paper bag puppet using the assembled panda head craft and a few additional templates.
5. Attach the finished craft to a handprint wreath made with red and decorated with yellow star the colors of the national flag of China.
Activities #2: Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose those activities you feel are appropriate for the ages of children.
Shapes & Colors Activity:
1. Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
template if using the color template. Ask the children to
identify the colors.
*Glue or glue stick
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/shapes/animals/panda-circles.htm