Craft | Shapes Theme | Mother's Day
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Young children can enjoy and also practice some skills by making
an easy greeting card that will but a smile on their parents and/or
grandparents face, they can also make a few for other special friends and
The cards are designed to be used for the holidays listed below.
Let's read and share a little bit about the history and purpose of the holiday in the links provided. Adjust colors and related materials to reflect the holiday.
St. Valentine's Day > Celebrated February 14th
Mother's Day > Generally celebrated the second Sunday in May.
Father's Day > Celebrated the third Sunday in June.
National Grandparents Day > Celebrated in September, the first Sunday after Labor Day.
Activity #1: History and Traditions of the Holiday
Ages 2 to 6:
1. Share some simple facts about the holiday celebrated using information from the links provided above.
2. Parents: Share and explain how your family celebrates the holiday and what traditions are observed. Examples: Special dinners, family get-togethers, gift giving, reading a book related to the holiday, visiting Grandparents, what special foods are prepared on that day, etc.
3. Educators can share how the community in general celebrates the holiday.
Activity #2: Easy Shapes Greeting Cards
18 months to 6 years old
Note: The card templates in black & white were designed so that caregivers and families together with the children can express in them their favorite colors, their traditions and heritage.
This craft activity will help children learn about colors, shapes, about the images in the card and about the holiday celebrated.
*The children will learn how fascinating it is to create a special gift using shapes.
* Let's call this technique
"layering,." Using different shapes and images you layer
them to form another image or landscape. Go to the links and
print a template of your choice.
* Envelope: Any standard large greeting card envelope can be used - those left over from the holidays. Make your own envelopes by using a used one as a template. Trace the envelope over wrapping paper - (usually the opposite side is white and the printed side can be the inside of the envelope). Cut and glue and you have a custom made envelope.
Shapes Greeting Cards
Black & White
Card 1 Template Rectangular Body
Card 2 Template
Letter H is Heart
* white paper or card stock, white or coordinating color
glue or glue stick
A variety of materials as described in the instructions.
|Alphabet > Letter H > Heart | Crafts > Shapes | Holidays and Events > Feb. 14th > Valentine's Day - May > Mother's Day - Jun > Father's Day - Sep > Grandparent's Day|