Alphabet > Letter B | Animals > Insects > Endangered > Caterpillar > Butterfly | Seasons > Spring & Summer
Alphabet Letter B Butterfly
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
| Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter B. Review related topics
in the above.
Animals > Insects > Endangered > Butterfly
The butterfly is an insect with four large wings that flies mostly in day-time. Butterflies are closely related to moths but have thinner bodies and are usually more brightly colored. Present this butterfly facts coloring page.
Visit this butterfly theme lesson plan online learning resources, crafts and other activities to incorporate with this alphabet presentation.
Alphabet Activity > Letter B is for Butterfly
Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Present the letter B Butterfly six-piece online jigsaw puzzle to practice problem solving and view letter B in upper and lower case. Adjust number or pieces using the Change Cut button on the left.
Present and display your option of letter B printable activities in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter B coloring page in standard block or D'Nealian font and a butterfly coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using finger paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter B words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter B's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter B's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the butterfly coloring page or decorate the letter B with an assortment of butterfly stickers. Write letter B b and the word butterfly on the margins.
Children Ages 3+ to 6 - Alphabet - beginning letter B > Present the Letter B Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book. These materials can be used as part of a Letter B program of activities to reinforce letter recognition, initial handwriting practice and to identify related B words.
Discuss other letter B words and images in the worksheet. You can also display letter B posters and coloring pages or make a letter B classroom book. For related images visit: Letter B Printable Activities.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter B's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter B's: Have the children find all the letter B's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Letter B Word Search & Handwriting Practice > An eight word search game features the butterfly and letter B words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a butterfly behind the page or print a butterfly coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw, color and decorate a butterfly and write letter B b. Share some images of a real butterfly to inspire the children.
B Butterfly Online Jigsaw Puzzle
Letter B coloring page
Letter B Worksheet & Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard
Word Search & Handwriting
(select eight words)
Drawing & writing paper
Butterfly coloring pages
B is for Butterfly Facts Coloring Page