Letter D Donkey Theme
Letter D >
D is for Donkey
Mammals > Desert > Farm > Donkey
Related animals > Horse | Unicorn | Zebra
Bible > Animals in the Bible
Books & Literature >
Holidays and Events >
*March | April > Easter
*Oct. 2nd > World Farm Animals Day
Dec. 25th >
Christmas > The Nativity
Nursery Rhymes > Donkey, donkey
Online Jigsaw Puzzles >
Transportation > Land Transport
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter D. The presentation ideally should be part of donkey themed activities and/or crafts.
Animals > Donkey > Facts and Mini-Book
Visit this activity to learn donkey facts, a donkey activity mini-book and view a short video of Benny the Donkey.
Online Jigsaw Puzzle Activity > Letter D Donkey
Skills: Problem solving skills, alphabet letter recognition, computer skills > using the mouse
Here is an online jigsaw puzzle the children will enjoy featuring a letter D Donkey. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the 'Change Cut' button to change shape and number of pieces.
Alphabet Activity > Letter D is for Donkey >
Present, display and distribute your option of letter D printable activities.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print letter D coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a donkey coloring image behind it or attach next to the letter D. Discuss other letter D words found on the worksheet and word search.
* Finger Tracing > Trace letter D's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can color and trace the letter D's. After coloring the letter, encourage children to color the donkey image. Write the word donkey on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6+
* Letter D words:
Letter D Worksheet and Mini-Book. This worksheet and matching mini-book can be used as part of Letter D program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related D words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Discuss other letter D words and images (refer to activity worksheet): First 'brainstorm' and ask the children about other words that have that beginning sound and write them on a board (dry erase board). Print letter D in a different bright color to make it stand out. You can also display letter D posters and coloring pages or make a letter D classroom book. For related images visit: Letter D Printable Materials.
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter D's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on the worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter with your choice of sharpened crayon, fine tip marker, coloring or regular pencil. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter D's:
Have the children find all the letter D's in upper and lower case on the worksheet and encourage them to circle or trace them.
Letter D Word Search & Handwriting Practice >
The four and eight word search game features the donkey and letter D words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced Handwriting Practice:
* Print your choice of printable lined-paper. Have children draw a donkey behind the lined paper or select and print a donkey coloring page behind the lined-paper to color after writing practice.
* Drawing and writing paper: encourage children to draw and color a donkey and practice writing letter D d.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/d/donkey.htm