Alphabet Letter G Groundhog
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
|Alphabet > Letter
G | Animals > Mammals > Forest > Rodents | Crafts > Printable
groundhog | Holidays > Feb 2nd > Groundhog Day
Animals > Mammals > Forest > Groundhog or Woodchuck
A groundhog or woodchuck is a rodent belonging to the family of squirrels. It has a thick body and shaggy brown fur. Groundhogs are common in Canada and the northeastern United States.
Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated in the United States and Canada on February 2. Tradition has it, that if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and doesn't see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If the groundhog sees its shadow because the weather is bright and clear, it will be frightened and run back into its hole, and the winter will be extended by six more weeks.
Alphabet Activity > Letter G is for Groundhog
Present and display your option printable activities in the materials column.
Children age 3 and under:
* Print a letter G coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and a groundhog coloring image behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter G words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter G's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the groundhog image. Write the word groundhog on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+
Present the Letter G Activity Worksheet and Mini Book [hard g]. These materials can be used reinforce learninng the letter, sound and to identify related words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter G's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Find the letter G's: Have the children find all the letter G's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first.
Discuss other letter G words found in the worksheet. You can also posters and coloring pages or make a letter G classroom book. For related images visit: letter G printable activities.
Letter G Word Search & Handwriting Practice > The eight word search game features the groundhog and letter G words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a groundhog behind the page or print a groundhog coloring page image.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a groundhog and write letter G g. Share some images of real groundhogs to inspire the children.
Crafts > Groundhog printable craft and online story.
Letter G coloring page
Letter G Worksheet & Mini Book
(hard G sound)
D'Nealian & Standard font
Word Search & Handwriting
Drawing & writing paper
Groundhog coloring page
Groundhog printable craft