Letter O Ostrich Theme
Alphabet > Letter O > O is for Ostrich
Birds > Desert > Ostrich
Holidays and Events >
Jan. 5th > National Bird Day
May 4th >
Here are printable materials and some suggestions to present letter O > short o sound.
1. Animals > Birds > Desert > Endangered > Ostrich
The ostrich is a large, powerful African bird that can run very fast but cannot fly. It has two toes on each foot and no feathers in its long legs and neck.
Online resources >
* National Geographic Kids Creature Feature > Ostrich
* Wikipedia.org > Ostrich
2. Alphabet Activity > Letter O is for Ostrich
Print a letter O coloring page
D'Nealian or Standard Block font and select and print #1 or #2 behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter O words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing:
Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter O's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the ostrich image (paste a few brown or black feathers). Write the word ostrich on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6:
Alphabet - beginning letter O (short sound)
1. Present the Letter O Activity Worksheet and Mini Book program. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Letter O words: This page and matching mini book can be used as part of Letter O program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related O words.
If you have illustrated alphabet books you can also use images in them. You can also display letter O posters and coloring pages or make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: Letter O Printable Materials .
* Finger and Pencil Tracing:
Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers (on the upper right corner) that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
* Find the letter O's: Have the children find all the letter O's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them first. Visit each child to make sure they have identified the letter O's and then discuss the locations with the worksheet.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound)
A four word search game features the ostrich and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an ostrich behind the page or print a ostrich coloring page #1 | #2.
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color an ostrich and write letter O o. Share some images of real ostriches to inspire the children.
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/alpha/o/ostrich.htm