> Letter D > D
is for Dinosaur
(Extinct) > Dinosaurs
Crafts > Home
made Toy >
and Events >
Oct. > Dinosaurs
Come and dance with dinosaurs!
The children will love this book. Dancing
Dinos (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1) written by
Sally Lucas and illustrated by Margaeux Lucas.
Activity #1: Read Dancing
This book has a lot of rhyming and rhythm, these are great to help
children with pre-reading skills.
Counting: Read the story once and then start again,
pause to count the dinosaurs in each page. Check with the
children if they can tell how many dinosaurs are missing in certain
Identifying Objects and Places: Ask the children to
identify objects and areas. In what room did the dinosaurs eat,
in what room did they take a bath, where did they spill water, etc.
Activity #2: Homemade Toy: Make
a Dinosaur Diorama (PDF Format only 5 pages including
Here is a great craft to make that is also a wonderful home made
toy. It is only available in PDF format. The assembly
instructions are on the first page:
Ideas & Comments:
1. You may need to print more background pages depending on the
size of the shoe box and most of the assembly needs to be made by an
2. Children can help to brush glue on the pieces or directly to
3. You may also be able to purchase 3" to 4" inch toy
plastic dinosaurs available from a "dollar store" to replace
the paper dinosaurs.
4. To make movable dinosaur figures,
cut 1/2 pieces from a toilet paper tube and glue the dinosaurs against
the tube so the children can play with the dinosaurs instead of gluing
them to the box (except for the flying reptile).
5. You may want to print two sets of dinosaurs to have more
6. Before gluing the background the children may add additional
elements to decorate it:
* add cut up green construction paper
to the palm trees and scenery to make the scene more
* add some "rocks" made from
crunching pieces of brown paper bag and glue them in some areas of the
* make a yellow circle to glue or draw a sun
in the sky
7. If you don't have a shoe box any other gift box, or large
cereal box can be used.
Activity #2: Alphabet Letter D is for Dinosaur
D activity worksheet and mini-book program to reinforce or
introduce letter d.
Print this Dinosaur
Diorama and instructions
*shoe box or large cereal box