> Letter R > R is for Rainbow
Story time >
Color the Rainbow with Freda Frog
Colors > Worksheets
> Primary and secondary colors
> Rainbow Color Flash cards
March 17th > St. Patrick's Day
Ages: 18 months to 6 years
Level: Toddlers, preschool and Kindergarten
the Rainbow with Freda Frog is a short and fun story that will
help children learn to recognize the colors of the rainbow.
* After reading the online
story you can play this game.
Rainbow Cards Coloring Game
* The cards have the same images as is in the online story:
red cap, orange pumpkin, green beans, yellow duck, blue ball and
* Each image is in color and black & white - keep these
images together when cutting the cards.
1. Print the cards preferably in card stock or white
2. Important: Keep matching images together.
(color image and black & white image) - fold so only one side
1. Show child the color image side first, ask what color and
what is the name of the object.
2. Once child has identified the color and object on each
card, turn the cards so only white image show.
3. Ask child what color should the image be - example:
what color was the duck?
Part 2 of the activity - coloring the black and white images:
1. Encourage child to color the
images to match the one next to it.
2. You may want to do the coloring activity two images per day
for very young children and revisit the story online.
Ideas for using cards:
Cut the matching images and play a game of match. Turn all
of the cards face down. Turn over 2 cards. If you turn over a
picture card and it is the correct color card, you have a match.
Take these cards away. Turn 2 of the remaining cards over. If they
are not a match turn back facedown, and try again until all matches
have been made.
Older preschoolers (Ages 4+ and older), and kindergarten level can
be introduced to the
companion color word worksheets. There is a color
version and coloring version. Visit the link to print the
Print the Rainbow Flash Cards Coloring Game (3
Cards Page 1
Cards Page 2
Cards Page 3
* white paper, card stock or construction paper
* crayons or markers