|During these activities
children can learn about bears, and a famous toy,
the teddy bear.
Activity > Learn about Bears > Review this lesson plan to learn about bears and related activities.
Activity > Teddy
Visit the link above for a brief story of the teddy bear, an American
treasure, named after the 26th U.S.
President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt. This toy was inducted in the Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.
A teddy bear theme is welcomed for almost every type of holiday or
special occasions throughout the year. One of the special
qualities of teddy bears is that they provide comfort to the young and
young at heart, so this theme is also useful for providing
comfort in times of crisis: grief, loss, illness, or any stress
The first craft is the Easy Shapes Bear or Teddy bear Head (8 pieces). The second craft is completed by doing the
head craft plus the body templates (5 additional
Note: For a smaller version of this craft with 8 pieces visit here.
Activity > Easy Shapes Bear Head Craft (8 pieces)
This craft was inspired by a circle
bear craft created by Leanne at DLTK Crafts for Kids a years earlier. DLTK's circle bear was one of the first crafts I
presented to my son around age 2 1/2 and we still treasure it as a
Review printing and assembly options that best meet your needs.
Before assembly conduct the learning activities suggested
Recommendation: Complete the head craft first and the
learning activities suggested below. Assemble the
body after a break or on a separate day with a related activity.
Printing and assembly options:
Option 1: Print color template, conduct learning activities below, cut out and
Option 2: Print black & white template. Color, paint or decorate, conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Option 3: Print black & white template to your choice of color craft paper,
and color in sections desired, such as eye ball, inner ears, nose,
Learning activities to conduct before
- Shape > Circle & Color
Identify the circles. Discuss the colors on the template
(brown and tan/beige) or the
colors chosen by the children to color the templates.
- Numbers and pre-math activities: To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting and Sizing: Have the children sort the
circles by size, from small to large.
- Counting: Count how many circles in each size. You may want to write
the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint
the children with printed numbers.
Body: At your discretion skip the sorting, counting
activity for the body portion, or just do a count of the toes - 1 thru
- Show the small image of the
finished craft featured in the template to help the children see how the it looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces.
- Suggested assembly > Head > start from the top > paste inner ear, inside larger ear, paste ears in front or behind head, paste eyes, and nose. Body > paste arms only at the shoulder so the arms can move up and down, and paste feet. Paste head over body at the shoulder level.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Bb bear or Tt teddy bear in the body of the bear.
- Trace and cut pieces on fun foam, or any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon or string to back of head to use as decoration
- Replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes or glue pom pom for
- Tape head craft to a craft stick or drinking
straw for a hand puppet.
- Paste craft to lunch paper bag for a quick puppet.
Alphabet lesson plan printable activities: Visit the links provided to alphabet activities.
Bear | Teddy Bear Head Craft
Head Craft Only 1
Black & White
Head + Body 2
Color 1 & 2
Black & White 1 & 2
a SMALL version of this craft CLICK HERE
Alphabet printable activities
B is for Bear
T is for Teddy bear