| Hare Craft
Hearts Shape | Easter | St. Valentine's Day
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
| Alphabet > Crafts > Letter H - Letter R | Animals > Mammals > Farm > Pet > Forest > Hare or Rabbit | Holidays, Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year - Feb. 14th > Valentine's Day - Mar or Apr > Easter | Seasons > Spring | Online Stories
The rabbit and hare are wonderful animals that children are drawn to as there is a wealth of children's literature and toys that they can refer to. Visit the rabbit theme or hare theme for various related activities that include online stories, learning about rabbits and hares, to tie in to the activities below.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft entirely made with heart shapes (except the eyes & whiskers) and during the process many skills can be addressed.
The craft is appropriate for various holidays and events listed. The craft is available in two printable color combinations as shown in the images or black line format to color in or trace over other materials.
Activity 1: Hearts Hare or Bunny Rabbit Craft Ages 2.5+
Tell the children they are going to have fun with activities related to a wonderful and fun animal, and choose the rabbit or hare theme.
Review your options for printing the craft and assembly options that best meet your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options for the craft:
1. Whisker templates are not included and are optional. These can be drawn in, glue pieces of yarn, thin strips of paper, or with adult assistance, use hole punch, make two holes above the nose and insert two pieces of yarn or pipe cleaners (about 3 inches each) through the front and then back. Place tape on the back to hold in place.
2. Inner Ears are optional as well and there is a separate template #2 for these. Eyes can be cut together as a one piece template - easier for younger children.
Option 1: Print color template of your choice and optional inner ear template, cut out, conduct learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white template. Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed as above.
Option 3: For Large Groups or to recycle left over materials:
Print black & white template on card stock and use as a master template. Trace the patterns directly on construction paper, left-over paper, fun foam to obtain pieces needed in coordinating colors.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
1. Trace and cut pieces on fun foam, use wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
2. Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
3. Puppet: Glue the craft to a small standard lunch paper bag or to a craft stick for an instant puppet. Decorate the paper bag with additional hearts, buttons, etc.
4. Optional - Whiskers: use yarn or pipe cleaners as recommended above and a pom-pom for the nose instead of heart template.
Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose those activities you feel are appropriate on the ages of chidren.
Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template if using the color template. Ask the children to identify the colors they've used to color/decorate the template.
To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
1. Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
2. Counting: Count how many of each size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers. in this activity you may want to also count the eyes.
Proceed with craft assembly. Show the small image provided in the template to help the children see how the finished craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces. After completing the craft the children can hold their finished craft while conducting some of the activities below.
Suggested steps for assembly:
1. Glue inner ears to ears.
2. Glue assembled ears to head.
3. Glue eyes as one piece
4. Glue tongue heart
5. Glue heart "cheeks" over tongue
6. Glue nose heart over "cheeks"
7. Optional: make whiskers as suggested out of paper, yarn or pipe cleaners.
Alphabet Activities > Introduce or reinforce letter H is for Hare or R is for Rabbit
Online story time >
|Hearts Hare or Rabbit Craft
Color (Yellow & Pink)
*Template 2 (optional inner ears)
Color (Brown tones)
*Template 2 (optional inner ear)
Black & White
*Template 2 (optional inner ear)
Alphabet printable materials
Letter H is for Hare
Letter R is for Rabbit
*glue or glue stick
*paper or card stock
*materials to color with
*yarn or pipe cleaners to create whiskers