| Hare Craft
Hearts Shape | Easter | St. Valentine's Day
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
|Themes||Instructions and Suggestions||Materials|
H is for Hare or
R is for Rabbit
Animals > Mammals > Farm > Pet > Forest > Hare or Rabbit
Character education > Online story time > Roy the Responsible Rabbit
Hearts Bunny Rabbit or Hare (head only)
Numbers Math > Counting, Sizing, Sorting
Holidays, Events & Seasons >
*Jan. or Feb. > Chinese New Year
*Feb. 14th > Valentine's Day
*March or April > Easter
Seasons > Spring
Online Stories > Select > Rabbit or Hare
Ages 2.5 + to 6
The rabbit and also the hare are wonderful animals that children are drawn to as there is a wealth of children's literature and toys that they can also refer to. Visit the rabbit activity section or hare activity section for various related activities that include online stories, learning about rabbits and hares, to tie in to the activities below. There is also a short list of familiar book titles you may want to review.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft entirely made with heart shapes (except the eyes & whiskers) and during the process many skills can be addressed.
The craft is appropriate for an Easter, Spring Season Theme, Forest or Farm Animals Theme, or Valentine's Day celebration as well. The craft is available in two printable color combinations as shown in the images or black line format to color in or trace over other materials.
Activity #1: Hearts Hare or Bunny Rabbit Craft Ages 2.5+
Tell the children they are going to have fun with activities related to a wonderful and fun animal, and choose the rabbit or hare theme.
Review your options for printing the craft and assembly options that best meet your needs. Before assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested below:
Printing and assembly options for the craft:
1. Whisker templates are not included and are optional. These can be drawn in, glue pieces of yarn, thin strips of paper, or with adult assistance, use hole punch, make two holes above the nose and insert two pieces of yarn or pipe cleaners (about 3 inches each) through the front and then back. Place tape on the back to hold in place.
2. Inner Ears are optional as well and there is a separate template #2 for these. Eyes can be cut together as a one piece template - easier for younger children.
Option 1: Print craft color template of your choice and the inner ears are optional, cut out, conduct learning activities below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black and white template. Children can color, paint or decorate first, cut out and proceed as above.
Option 3: For Large Groups or to recycle left over materials.
Print black & white template on card stock and use as a master template. Trace the patterns directly on construction paper, left-over paper, fun foam to obtain pieces needed in coordinating colors.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
1. Trace and cut pieces on fun foam, use wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
3. Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
4. Puppet: Glue the craft to a small standard lunch paper bag or to a craft stick for an instant puppet. Decorate the paper bag with additional hearts, buttons, etc.
5. Optional - Whiskers: use yarn or pipe cleaners as recommended above and a pom-pom for the nose instead of heart template.
Learning Activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Choose those activities you feel are appropriate on the ages of chidren.
#2 Shapes & Colors Activity:
1. Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
template if using the color template. Ask the children to
identify the colors they've used to color/decorate the template.
Alphabet Letter Activities:
*Glue or glue stick
To view updates to these activities visit: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/crafts/shapes/animals/rabbit_hare_hearts.htm