Letter L Leaf Leaves
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
- coloring & writing supplies
- sheet protectors for worksheets
Science > Plants > Learn about Leaves:
Display and observe real leaves or go outside and pick leaves before the activities. Leaf information, images and a simple activity: [Flash Player required]
- Page 1 Leaves are important to trees and plants
- Page 2 Leaves have different shapes and textures
- Page 3 Leaves are simple or compound (many leaflets)
- Page 4 Leaves have veins. These help move food and water to the leaf.
- Page 5 Activity: Make a leaf rubbing to see the veins. Use this drawing and writing paper to make the rubbing. Practice writing letter L. The seasons and how leaves turn colors > A Year in the Life of a Tree
Children under age 4:
Print a letter l coloring page and a leaf or leaves coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter L words found on the worksheet.
Finger Tracing:Trace letter L's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
Children can trace and color the letter L's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the leaves, and write the word leaf on the margin.
Handwriting worksheet tips:
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly.
During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Have the children find all the letter L's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle them.
Children ages 3+:
Letter L words: Letter L Worksheet Program and Mini-Book (long a sound) can be used as part of program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
You can also display letter posters and coloring pages or make a letter A home or classroom book. For related images visit: Letter L printable activities.
Letter L Word Search & Handwriting Practice: The four and six word search game features a leaf and letter L words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw a leaf or leaves behind the page or print a leaf theme coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color leaves and write letter L l.
Crafts featuring or related to leaves: Turkey Leaves Crafts (various) · Dress a tree for a season
Letter L · Plants >