Alphabet Letter L Leaf Leaves
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Activity: Science > Plants > Learn about Leaves >
Display and observe real leaves or go outside and pick leaves before the activities. Leaf information, images and a simple activity: [Flash Player required]
- Page 1 Leaves are important to trees and plants
- Page 2 Leaves have different shapes and textures
- Page 3 Leaves are simple or compound (many leaflets)
- Page 4 Leaves have veins. These help move food and water to the leaf.
5 Activity: Make a leaf rubbing to see the veins. Use this drawing
and writing paper to make the rubbing. Practice writing letter L.
The season and how leaves turn colors > A Year in the Life of a Tree
Letter L coloring page
Review this alphabet set
Letter L Worksheet & Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word Search & writing
Drawing · Writing Paper
Leaf - Leaves coloring pages
- coloring & writing supplies
- Optional: sheet protectors for worksheets
Alphabet Activity > Letter L is for Leaf
Present and display your option of printable materials listed in the materials column.
Children Age 3 and under:
- Print a
letter L coloring page and a leaf or leavescoloring page
behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter L words found on the worksheet.
- Finger Tracing: Trace letter L's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also
sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on
their coloring page.
- Children can trace and color the letter L's. After completing
coloring the letter, encourage children to color the image. Write the word leaf on the finished coloring page.
- Coloring Activity: Encourage the children to color the image in the coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6 > Letter L words (initial consonant sound):Letter L words (initial consonant sound): Letter L Worksheet and Mini-Book > These materials can be used as part of Letter L program of activities to reinforce letter practice and to identify related letter L words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Discuss other letter L words and images found on the worksheet. You can also display other L posters and coloring pages or even make a letter L classroom book using coloring images or color posters. Visit letter L printable activities to make your choice.
Finger and Pencil Tracing: Trace letter L's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page (first presentation) or handwriting practice worksheet.
Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters, and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them trace the letter correctly. During the demonstration, you may want to count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how the number order aids them in the writing process.
Coloring Activity: Encourage the children to color the image in the coloring page or worksheet.
Find the letter L's: Have the children find all the letter L's in upper and lower case on the page and encourage them to circle or trace/shade them first.
Letter L Word Search & Handwriting Practice > The four and six word search game features a leaf and letter L words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to: (choose an option)
* draw and color a leaf behind the page
* print a leaf coloring page to color and decorate > maple leaves or oak leaf
* paste paper or real fallen leaves to make a collage
2. Drawing and writing paper Encourage children to draw and color a leaf or leaves and write letter L l.
Craft activities related to leaves > Crafts with leaves: Turkey Leaves Crafts (various) | Dress a tree for a season