Alphabet Letter O Oak | Tree
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
Define and discuss the word oak
The oak tree: its leaves and fruit, the acorn are traditionally associated with the autumn season. Encourage the children to "dress" the oak coloring page for an specific season with a variety of materials.
Visit the trees and acorn theme to incorporate these activities.
Activity > Character Education > Aesop's Fable > Read, print and discuss the fable The Oak and the Reeds
- coloring & writing supplies
- Optional: sheet protectors for worksheets
Letter O Oak Online Puzzle
Letter O coloring page
Letter O Worksheet & Mini-book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word Search & Writing
Drawing | Writing Paper
Trees coloring pages
This alphabet letter O is for Oak presentation can complement and celebrate America's choice for a National Tree -- the OAK tree. The National Arbor Day Foundation (arborday.org) conducted online "elections" in 2001 to select a national tree. The oak was the people's choice. In 2004, by congressional passage and presidential signing the oak tree is our national tree.
* National Tree poster - PDF format @ arborday.org
O is for Oak Online Jigsaw Puzzle: Skills > Letter recognition and problem solving.
Children will have fun with this six-piece puzzle to practice problem solving skills and letter O recognition.
Children Age 3 and under:
* Print a letter O coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and select and print an tree coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter O words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter O's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the oak tree image. Write the word oak on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6: Alphabet - beginning letter O (long sound)
Letter O Worksheet and Mini Book: These materials can be used to reinforce letter practice and to identify related words. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
Focus on the long O sound words: oval, ocean, overalls, etc You can also display posters and coloring pages or even make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: letter O printable activities.
Finger and Handwriting Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your index finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page or tracer. Encourage the children to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows and point to the number 1 with arrow that help them trace the letter correctly. The letter O is written in once continuous stroke.
Find the letter 0's: Have the children find all the letter O's in upper and lower case on the coloring page or extended tracer. Encourage them to circle or trace/shade the letter O's first.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound): A four word search game features an oak image and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an oak tree behind the page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: Encourage children to draw and color an oak tree and write letter O o.
Related printable craft: Autumn Oak Leaves and Acorn Turkey Craft