Alphabet Letter O Ox - Oxen
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities and Worksheets
| Here are printable materials and some
suggestions to present letter O > short o sound.
Animals > Mammals > Farm > Working Animal > Transport
An ox is one of a breed of large cattle used mainly in farms to pull heavy loads and other tasks. Oxen is the plural of ox.
Chinese New Year > The ox is one of the twelve animals represented in the Chinese zodiac.
Visit the cattle theme lesson plan activities for ox crafts and other educational resources to incorporate with this alphabet presentation.
Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Ox cart and yoke > Skill: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Present and display your option of printable activities in the materials column.
Children age 3 and under:
* Print a letter O coloring page D'Nealian or Standard Block font and an ox coloring page behind it or on a separate page if using paints to decorate later. Discuss other letter O words found on the worksheet.
* Finger Tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring page.
* Children can trace and color the letter O's. After completing coloring the letter, encourage children to color the ox image. Write the word ox on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+: Alphabet - beginning letter O (short sound) >
Finger and pencil tracing: Trace letter O's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the letter. Invite the children to do the same on your worksheet. Encourage to trace the dotted letter, and explain the direction of the arrows.
Explain the word ox is for singular, just one ox, and oxen is the plural, for naming two or more. The ox are wearing a yoke. A yoke is a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull. In the illustration, the oxen are pulling a plow that prepares the soil for planting.
Discuss other letter O words (short sound) and images found in the worksheet. You can also display letter O posters and coloring pages or make a letter O classroom book. For related images visit: Letter O Printable Activities.
Letter O Word Search & Handwriting Practice (short O sound) > A four word search game features the ox and letter O words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced independent handwriting practice:
1. Print your choice of printable lined-paper and encourage children to draw an ox behind the page or print an ox coloring page.
2. Drawing and writing paper: to engage children in making an original drawing of an ox and practice writing letter O in upper and lower case independently.
Ox online puzzle
Letter O coloring page
Letter O Worksheet & Mini Book
(short O sound)
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word Search & Handwriting
Drawing & writing paper
Ox coloring pages
Cattle coloring pages
Letter X in Ox activities