Here are printable activities and some
suggestions to present letter R. Visit mice and rodents
theme activities and crafts for additional learning activities.
Animals > Mammals > Rats
A rat is a small mammal with a pointed face and a very long tail. Rats are rodents that look like mice, but are larger. They are often kept as pets. The rat is one of the twelve animals represented in the Chinese zodiac.
R Rat online puzzle
Rat online puzzle
Letter R coloring page
Letter R Worksheet & Mini-Book
D'Nealian & Standard block
Word search & writing
Drawing | Writing Paper
- coloring & writing supplies
Children age 3 and under:
- Print a
letter R coloring page D'Nealian
Block font. Select and print an age apropriate rat coloring page on the back or on a separate sheet.
- Finger Tracing: Trace letter R's in upper and lower case with your finger as you also sound out the
letter. Invite the children to do the same on their coloring
- Children can color and trace the letter R's following instructions. Use finger paints, crayons or water colors. Write the letter R r and the word rat on the finished coloring page.
Children Ages 3+ to 6 - beginning letter R sound:
- Present the letter
R worksheet and mini-book. Read suggested instructions for using the worksheet and mini-book.
- Encourage the children to trace the dotted letters and demonstrate the direction of the arrows and numbers that help them
trace the letter correctly. Count out loud as you trace so children become aware of how
the number order aids them in the writing process.
- Find the letter R's: Have the children find all the
letter R's in upper and lower case on the worksheet words and encourage them to circle
- Discuss other letter R words and images found in the worksheet. Make a home or classroom letter R book or coloring book. Visit Letter R Printable Activities to make your choice.
Letter R Word
Search & Handwriting Practice:
The four and six word search game features a rat and letter R words with pictures and handwriting practice.
Advanced Independent Handwriting:
- Print your choice of printable
lined-paper and encourage children to draw a rat behind
the page or print a rat
coloring page to color after writing practice.
- Drawing and writing paper. Encourage children to draw and color a rat and write letter R. r.