Tortoise, Turtle and Sea Turtles
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Where to start?
Ask children what they know about the turtle or tortoise, or if they have seen pictures or read stories that have this type of animal as a character. Ask children if they have heard about endangered animals or extinct animals, and what these terms mean to them. Keep notes of their responses.
Basic facts about turtles and tortoise:
- A turtle is a reptile. A reptile is a class of cold-blooded animal with a
skeleton inside its body and dry scales or hard plates on its
skin. Most reptiles lay eggs with soft, leathery shells.
Some reptiles live in water, but use their noses to breathe air into
their lungs. Lizards, turtles, snakes and crocodiles are
kinds of reptiles.
- Turtles and tortoises have soft body covered by a hard shell
that lives in water or on land. A tortoise is a turtle
that lives on land. A turtle pulls its head, legs, and tail into
its shell for protection.
- We need to take care of the habitats of turtles and tortoises, because
some are critically endangered
(review and define) and could become extinct (review and
define). People around the world are dedicated to
protecting endangered animals and their habitats.
- Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
- Sea turtles > YouTube @ All Things Animals
- Turtles and tortoises > You Tube @ National Geographic, this is a little long, but you can show portions
- National Geographic Kids > facts, photos and more.
Galápagos Tortoise: The largest tortoise in the world. These can live up to 100 years!
Leatherback Sea Turtles: The biggest turtles on Earth.
Loggerhead Sea Turtles: The most common sea turtles in the waters of the U.S.A.
Tortoise or Turtle Shapes Craft All you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick, scissors and something to color with.
Tortoise or Turtle & Sea turtle
Objective: View animal and review facts. Problem solving skills. Bilingual: English and Spanish
Have fun with two online puzzles featuring a a turtles. The are touchcreen and mobile friendly. The default puzzle is 6-pieces and adjustable.
Tortoise | Turtle Coloring Pages for puppets and display
These coloring pages can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make hand puppets. Color, cut out and attach to a craft stick.