Holidays & Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year - Jun > Zoo & Aquarium Month - Dec > 14th Monkey Day - 27th Visit the Zoo Day
Young children will have fun learning about monkeys. A variety of printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools
- glue stick
- Review lesson plan for additional supplies for crafts.
Activity: Animals > Mammals > Rainforest > Endangered > Monkeys
Science and social studies objectives:
- Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life, natural resources and habitats.
- Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they are not endangered or become extinct.
- Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
- Identifying an endangered animal: monkey
- Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical area, country or region. Learn a few basic facts about this animal.
Review the activities and online resources suggested below to prepare and expand on the
Where to start?
Ask children what they know about monkeys, or if they have seen pictures or read stories that have a monkey character, for example "Curious George." Ask children if they have heard about endangered animals or extinct animals, and what these terms mean to them. Keep notes of their responses.
Basic facts about monkeys:
A monkey is a small mammal that is one of the primates. Monkeys have very flexible hands and feet. Some kinds of monkeys have tails which they use to hang from trees. Different kinds of monkeys live in Central and South America, Africa, and Asia. The monkey is one of the twelve animals featured in the Chinese zodiac, therefore, appropriate to present for a Chinese or Lunar New Year theme.
We need to take care of monkeys, because many species are endangered (review and define) and could become extinct (review and define). View these monkeys that are endangered: Geoffroy's Spider Monkey (Central America), Mantled Howler Monkey (Mexico to South America),
People around the world are dedicated to protecting endangered animals and their unique habitats.
Activity > Online Jigsaw Puzzle > Monkey > Skills: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish
Here is an online puzzle the children will enjoy with a fun monkey image. The default puzzle is 6 pieces. Click on the change cut button to change shape and number of pieces.
Activity: Alphabet Letter M Monkey lesson plan printable activities
Related activiies: Nutrition > Pineapple
Activity: Printable Monkey Crafts @ dltk-kids.com & dltk-teach.com
All you need is a printer, paper or lightweight construction paper (trim to fit printer), glue stick, scissors and something to color with.
Before craft assembly conduct some learning activities for the craft activity:
Math > Shapes | Colors: Identify colors and shapes.
Count and number the craft templates.
Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring (precursors to handwriting), problem solving, and fine motor skills.
- Monkey paper craft craft holding a banana
- Monkey face paper craft
- Paper plate monkey face craft (same as above but using a paper plate)
- Monkey craft (uses a toilet paper tube)
- Children's picture books: Curious George Book Break activities & crafts
Activity 5: Monkey Coloring Pages for Puppets and Display
These coloring pages can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make hand puppets.
Color, cut out and attach a craft stick to the back. Use the coloring pages for educational display during discussion about monkeys.