Here is a very simple craft to help introduce the chicken, hen (female
chicken) or rooster (male
chicken). The templates in the craft (except the
handprints) are an EGG shape, a sort of oval. Make sure to discuss birds
> chicken hatch from eggs.
The craft is suitable to enhance related themes, holidays and events, and children's literature.
The crest (red-handprint) and neck feathers are created with 3 handprint cut-outs, colored-in or painted handprints.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Prepare ahead of time: Trace and assist to cut out three handprints for young children: one red, two white or other color. Older children should be encouraged to do most of the craft with very little assistance.
Save small image of craft in the template to aid in the assembly process or show a finished craft to large groups.
Option 1: Print color or black & white templates and color, trace and cut out handprints. Proceed to assembly instructions below.
Option 2: Print black and white templates. Trace templates over construction paper, foam sheets or other left over materials you may want to recycle. Trace and cut out handprints.
Assembly instructions: At this point all materials should be decorated/colored and ready for assembly.
Shapes and colors > Make sure to discuss and identify shapes (ovals) and colors during the assembly process.
- Demonstrate how to position each handprint over the head and under the head to create feathers for the neck.
- Help children to trace a line with a pencil along the edge of the handprint to mark the position of the handprints.
- Children will remove the handprints, place glue below or above the lined marked, reposition and paste the handprints.
- Mark the position of the eyes, beak and waddle with a pencil. Apply glue and paste. You can replace eye template with plastic wiggly eyes.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
- Activity: Learn about
Birds > Chicken
Visit this lesson plan for information and resources to present the basics about eggs, hatching, and nutrition.
- Activity - Literature - Folk Tale: The
Little Red Hen
- Activity - Alphabet: With this craft you have a choice to introduce or review: