This easy craft can be
adapted for activities related to members of the deer family (Cervids): the
caribou or reindeer, American
elk | wapiti, or moose.
Note: The reindeer activities and craft can be tied to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Christmas story
Christmas accessories (candy cane and message card) can be added to
all animal options.
Select a theme to introduce one of the animals -- forest animals, the
arctic or Canadian Wildlife for a Canada Day theme for
Activity 1: Learn about Deer - Cevidae Family
Deer | Kinds of Deer: Caribou
| Reindeer | Moose (the largest type of deer primarily in Canada) called elk in Europe | American
Elk or Wapiti at Simple.Wikipedia.org
Prepare an interesting display or coloring book with your choice deer family images,
refer to the coloring pages in the materials
Idea: Print the coloring pages directly on tan, brown color
paper, cut-out and make a simple mural.
Activity 2: Alphabet Printable Activities >
Review alphabet options in the materials column.
Activity 3: Printable Craft > Deer
Option 1: Print color template cut out,
conduct learning activities of your choice below and assemble.
Option 2: Print black & white for any of the animal options. Children can color, paint or decorate first. Optional: Color-by-Number or Letter - Add numbers or letters to
the templates for a color and add a small chart on the bottom of the
page with a sample of the color and number so children can match and
color the pieces.
Option 3: For large groups 6 or more.
Print your choice of color
and white of craft template, accessories for large groups (candy canes-6 in one page) and (message card-6).
Craft Assembly (after pieces are decorated and cut out)
- Show the small image of the
finished craft featured in the template to help the children see how the finished
craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces.
- Glue antlers behind or front
of head, whichever is easier.
- Glue tongue
- Glue "cheeks" on top of tongue allowing
some of the tongue template to show, and glue
- Glue nose over 'cheeks'.
- Optional: glue candy cane and message card on
antlers. Write a short holiday message or the name of children
to identify each craft.
Other decorating ideas:
1. Tape the craft to a craft stick (Popsicle stick) to make a
2. Add a looped ribbon or piece of yarn to hang as an ornament
on the Christmas tree.
3. Use the craft to decorate plain gift bags, or as a large gift
tag for a large gift.
4. Glue a small picture on the message card.
Simon Says Game with Questions:
Review possible discussion questions for a particular deer you
choose to discuss below -- the answers can be obtained from the
Write your choice of questions on cards. Make sure all are
discussed and answered first. Then play a Simon says game
variation. Pull a question card from a bag or basket. Have the
children line up and place a covered surprise (cupcakes, cookies, see
below a recipes). Place the surprise six to eight steps away -- this would be snack
time when game is completed. Pull a question from the basket and
read. Allow the children to discuss
among themselves what they will answer as group. One leader
gives the right answer. When answered correctly the children can
move forward one step. Continue until all are answered - limit
to about 4 to 6 questions. Ideas:
Snack time could be at this point, surprise the children with Reindeer
Treat Cup Cakes (or call them any name of animal that is discussed) recipe below.
1. What type of animal is a ____________?
2. What does the _________ eat?
3. Where and in what type of climate/environment does the
4. If focusing on the reindeer. What is a reindeer called in North
5. What is the correct name for the ______ "horns"?
6. Do both male and female __________ have antlers and what do
they use them for?
7. Most of these animals shed and grow back their antlers, which
Deer Theme Treat Cup Cakes:
1. Prepare your favorite cup cake recipe
2. Prepare or buy frosting/ icing and color it brown with
1. Antlers: break pretzels in half for two antlers and
insert on either side of the cup cake
2. Nose: Half a maraschino cherry
3. Eyes: Small Hershey kisses or other small candy (M&M's) for
Craft Deer Family
Black & white
1 Candy cane & card
Rudolph the Red Nosed
Letter D Deer
(American Elk or wapiti)
(wapiti or American elk)
Deer family (Cervids) coloring pages