Holidays & Events > May > Transportation Month
activities will help children learn letter V, beginning writing skills (tracing), scissor cutting skills, problem solving
(assembly of the craft).
The upper portion of the activity worksheet is a foldable flash card, the lower portion is a craft to trace, color and assemble.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools
- optional: brass fasteners for wheels
Craft Instructions and Learning Activities:
- Print template: This activity worksheet is more
effective and durable printed on stiff paper or card stock. To
add interest, print on pastel colors.
If working with a group, print one for display and for instruction. Distribute only the upper portion (flash card and tracer as one piece).
Tell the children they are going to play different games with a van theme. They need to listen and follow instructions for the game.
- Game 1: Trace and Say the Letter - Assemble the flash
- Trace the large dotted letter (left) and sound out the word van and point to the image (right side).
- Have the children trace the dotted letter with their finger first. Instruct to trace with color pencil or crayon.
- Color the van image on the right
- Instruct children (or help) fold on the center line and apply
glue. One side of the card will show the tracer and the other
side the van picture.
- Game 2: Craft - Trace, Cut and Assemble a Van
The lower part of the worksheet is an easy craft that will provide opportunities to trace, cut (scissor skills) and creativity in coloring, decorating and assembly (small motor skills).
Distribute the van craft portion:
- Instruct the children to trace along the dotted lines of the different pieces in their favorite colors. Now the children can color, fill and decorate the pieces.
- Once the pieces are traced and colored, instruct the children to cut out the pieces.
- Instruct to assemble. They can refer to the image in the flash card. The wheels can be attached with a large fastener, so these can turn around (ages 3+ and older only).
Van coloring page
[land transport coloring]
1) Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
2) Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Themes -- Land Transport >