Holidays & Events > Feb 14th > Valentine's Day · Spring · Summer [en español]
- paper or card stock, or print B&W template to red paper.
- coloring tools for black & white templates
- Optional: black pipe cleaners for legs
The ladybug or ladybird beetle is an insect that is a tiny hero in our gardens,
so come and have fun with this colorful creature.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a ladybug mainly designed with heart shapes. Note one of the antennas is a number 6 to learn that insects have six legs, the other antenna is an inverted six. The L legs are optional - and three of them are upper case letter L for Ladybug, and the other three legs are inverted letter L's.
The craft is appropriate for various holidays, such as St. Valentine's Day; nursery rhyme or picture book activities. View other heart shapes animal crafts.
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Print template of your choice. Color if applicable.
- Using the leg patterns, trace and out cut three of each from black paper, or substitute with pipe cleaners.
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have children sort the
shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Counting: Count how many of each size there
are, and how many in total.
You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have children sort the shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help children to assemble the craft.
- Glue antenna to the head.
- Glue eyes real close to the top of the head.
- Glue head slightly under the body.
- Glue heart "spots" to the body.
- Glue paper legs or tape pipe cleaners.
- Optional: Write L l ladybug behind the craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Paste wiggly eyes over the printed eyes.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to
a craft stick.
- Activity: Ladybugs lesson plan and literacy resources
- Activity - Alphabet: Introduce or review letter L ladybug printable activities: