Children will have fun making an easy and fun craft
assembled mostly with heart shapes (except for the eyes and legs), and during the
crafting process many basic skills can be addressed.
The craft has various printable accessories for holidays and events.
- paper, construction paper or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
Learning activities before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Numbers/Pre-Math: Template pieces should be cut out and decorated
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
Print template of your choice. Refer to the small illustration of the craft in the template to help children position the pieces.
- Glue smaller hearts inside larger hearts for head and body
- Glue two head hearts on body
- Glue eyes (or supstitute with plastic wiggly eyes)
- Glue the beak
- Glue the feet behind body
- Optional: glue wings & paste a few craft feathers
Other decorations and ideas:
Tape a ribbon, string or magnet to the craft to use as a decoration or ornament.
Nocturnal Scene (can be used for Halloween theme also) Owls are noctunal birds, this means they are active at night. Older children can make a poster by making a nocturnal landscape of an owl perched on a tree branch.
Materials: blue construction paper for backgrouond, brown construction paper or grocery bag material for tree branch, small white paper circle for the moon, and assembled owl craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Complimentary alphabet printable activities:
- Activity: Learn about
Birds > Owls
Visit this lesson plan for information and resources to present the basics about owls.
- Activity - Alphabet: With this craft you can introduce or review letter O owl printable activities: