Penguin Craft | Heart Shape |
Preschool Printable Activity
Children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a penguin almost entirely assembled with heart shapes (except the eyes), and during the process many skills can be addressed. Many other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided.
And why are penguins fun for a Father's Day theme? Penguin fathers are pretty special. As soon as Mommy penguin lays one or two eggs, it is Daddy penguin who keeps the eggs warm and protected for a couple of weeks! Mommy dashes away to hunt and eat.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Printing options: 1. Print color template, 2. Print B&W template directly to color paper or trace templates to color paper, 3. Print B&W and color in.
The eyes template can be cut together as one piece.
Print optional optional holiday accessories in color or B&W templates.
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Counting: Count how many of each size there
are, and how many in total.
You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the shapes by color and size (smallest to largest).
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help children to assemble the craft.
- Paste medium white heart over large body heart.
- Paste optional accessory hat.
- Paste eyes or replace with plastic wiggly eyes over black heart marked with a white dot.
- Paste beak
- Past wings in front or behind body
- Paste feet.
- Paste optional holiday accessories.
- Optional: Write Pp penguin on the body or behind the craft.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Templates - Holidays and Events accessories:
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Trace and cut templates on fun foam, craft paper remnants, or brown paper bag material.
- Paste a few craft feathers to wings to emphasize that only birds have feathers.
- Paste wiggly eyes over the printed eyes.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to a craft stick or against a toilet paper roll for an instant hand or stand-up puppet.
- Greeting Card Option - Follow this diagram to create a greeting
card with the body egg template first.
Proceed to assemble the rest of the pieces with the folded egg card.
- Landscape: Use a light blue background paper or have
the children paint half of the paper white and blue, add other
elements such as cotton balls or white tissue.
- Penguins Lesson plan: Penguin information, non-fiction video, story video. online puzzle and more.
- Alphabet: Introduce or review: