Observances > Various · Spring · Summer
- Basic concepts about bees and why are they beneficial.
- Basic explanation of what is pollination.
- The theme can reinforce letter B activities, here are some
- Bees are Beneficial Bugs
- Busy Bees in my Backyard
Letter B Bee Printable Activities
Bee printable craft
The Adventures of Beatrice the Bee Coloring Storybook
Bee online jigsaw puzzle
Bee coloring pages
Make sure to prepare an interesting display with the alphabet posters, coloring pages, have some honey for a tasting activity and perhaps an example of beeswax or candle.
- There are thousands of different kinds of bees.
- They are found everywhere in the world except the North and South Poles.
- Bees are the only insects that make food that humans eat, (honey). Honey is a natural and healthy sweetener. Engage in a honey tasting activity or an easy recipe calling for honey as a main ingredient
- Beeswax is used in making candles, and other products.
- Bees live in large groups called colonies.
- Their dwellings (homes) are called hives.
- The leader of each hive is the queen. She directs the activities of the other bees, the workers and the drones. Many people raise bees for the production of honey and wax or just as a hobby.
- The honey bee is important for the farming industry and natural settings in the process of pollination for the production of crops and growth of wild plants. They are essential in pollinating fruit trees.
- Fun videos @ YouTube for young children to learn about bees:
Letter B Bee or Bumblebee > Visit the link to lesson plan activities and printable materials.
Whenever possible use a craft activity to introduce or reinforce letters or number recognition -- in this case we can introduce B is for Bee, or Bumblebee and related b words. The letter can be also printed somewhere in the craft so they children can visually see it when they play with the craft.
Online Jigsaw Puzzles: Bee
Objectives: Problem solving skills. View the animal's image and review facts. Bilingual: English - Spanish. The default puzzle is 6 pieces and adaptable.
Activity: Read, learn and color story Preschool - Grade 3
The Adventures of Beatrice the Bee takes you on a journey to learn about honey bees and pollination in a fun and engaging way in a coloring book format.
Activity: Aesop's Fable > The
Bear and Bees
Present this Aesop fable. Both animal characters start with letter B. Use the bee craft below and a bear craft to present the story. Discuss what is a fable and the moral lesson in the story.