Holidays & Events > Jun > Zoo & Aquarium Month - Dec 27th > Visit the Zoo Day | Online Stories-Animals
Ape Theme Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities, Crafts and Stories
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of an ape. During the assembly process many skills and educational themes can be addressed. Other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided. Let's get started.
- coloring and writing tools
- glue stick
- Additional supplies may be required for the crafts
Activities > Learning about Apes > Endangered
1. Science and social studies objectives:
- Define and understand the terms:
- extinct: to die out, there aren't any left alive.
- endangered species: when an animal or plant species is in danger of becoming extinct.
- Understand that people need to respect animal and plant life, natural resources and habitats.
- Identify ways people help protect these living things so that they are not endangered or become extinct.
- Identifying an endangered animal: the apes.
- Identifying at least one endangered animal in your geographical area, country or region. Learn a few facts about this animal.
- Ask the children if they have ever seen a real ape and discuss comments.
- What do they know about apes.
- Do they have a favorite story, TV or movie ape character.
2. Discuss some simple facts about apes.
- An ape is a mammal in the group of primates, which includes chimpanzees, gibbons, gorillas, and orangutans.
- Apes do not have tails.
- They have very flexible hands and feet.
- Apes live in the forests in Africa and Asia (two continents)
- We need to take care of apes, because many are critically endangered (review and define) and could become extinct (review and define).
- People around the world are dedicated to protecting apes and their habitats and unique forests.
- Online resource > Ape @ Wikipedia.org
National Geographic Kids > Endangered Apes: mountain gorilla, chimpanzee, orangutan, and white-handed gibbon.
Activity: Letter A is for Ape [long a sound] alphabet lesson plan printable activities or other apes,Ape: Chimpanzee and baby
Children will enjoy this fun ape image. Skills: Problem solving, bilingual English and Spanish The default puzzle is 6 pieces.
Apes coloring pages for puppets and display
These coloring pages can be printed on sturdy card stock paper to make puppets. Color, cut out and attach a craft stick to the back. Printable Ape Craft @ dltk-teach.com Ages 3+
All you need is a printer, paper or construction paper, glue stick, scissors and something to color with.
Before craft assembly conduct some of the learning activities suggested for the craft which may include: identify colors, number and count the craft templates.
Skills developed during craft assembly: Scissor cutting and coloring are precursors to handwriting, problem solving, fine motor skills.