During this craft and learning activities
children can learn about bears, and a famous toy,
the teddy bear. Review the complimentary activites for these themes below.
Present and introduce for a particular U.S.A. patriotic holiday, and discuss the national symbol of the flag and its colors.
A teddy bear theme is welcomed for almost every type of holiday or special occasions throughout the year. One of the special qualities of teddy bears is that they provide comfort to the young and young at heart, so this theme is also useful for providing comfort in times of crisis: grief, loss, illness, or any stress related situation.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
- Print template of your choice, color and decorate if that applies, conduct learning activities, cut out and assemble.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Identify the shapes. Discuss the colors on the template.
- To conduct these activities pieces should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting and Sizing: Have the children sort the shapes by size, from small to large.
- Counting: Count how many of each size. You may want to write
the numbers as you count on the blank side of the template to acquaint
the children with printed numbers.
Show the small image of the finished craft featured in the template to help the children assemble the craft..
- Glue ears in front or behind the head, whichever is easier for the children.
- Glue the hat.
- Glue arms unto the body only at the shoulder level, so arms can move.
- Glue feet.
- Glue assembled head at the shoulder level.
Other decorations and ideas:
- Write letter Bb bear or Tt teddy bear on the back of the craft.
- Trace and cut pieces on any left over materials.
- Tape a ribbon, string or magnet to the back of head to use as a decoration or ornament.
- Attach plastic wiggly eyes or glue a small pom pom for the nose.
- Attach to a craft stick for a quick hand puppet..
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
- Science and Social Studies > Learn about Bears lesson plan and resouces.
- Social Stuies > Teddy
Visit the link above for a brief story of the teddy bear, an American treasure, named after the 26th U.S. President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt. This toy was inducted in the Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.
- Alphabet > Introduce or review: