Holidays & Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year (Rat) | Apr 4th > World Rat Day
The mouse is an animal that is a favorite among young children and also a popular pet. Visit the mouse theme for various related activities.
The craft can also be adapted to a gerbil, rat, or other small rodent, such as a guinea pig, hamster, etc. The rat is one of the twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac, therefore, appropriate for Chinese New Year celebrations.
Be sure to include the recommendedd alphabet printable activities.
- paper or card stock
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Printing options: 1. Print color template, 2. Print B&W template directly to color paper of your choice, 3. Print B&W and color in.
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the oval shape and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
ovals by size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the ovals by size (smallest to largest)
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the oval shape and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help the children position the pieces.
- Glue head on body.
- Glue one ear on the right over the head.
- Glue one ear on the left undeer the head.
- Glue the eye.
- Glue two oval feet.
- Optional: Write letter M m mouse behind the craft, or the letter and word for the rodent you wish to present.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Trace and cut pieces on fun foam, craft paper remnants or brown paper bag paper.
- Use plastic wiggly eyes instead of the eyes template.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back to use as decoration or ornament.