We are going to practice shapes and learn about trees.
Activity: Learning about trees
are Terrific... Travels with Pierre @ University of
Here are some tree facts to share
with children -- most of these facts are beautifully presented
in the web site above. Some specific pages are linked below:
- Trees are not only among the largest living things on Earth, but
also can live the longest.
of a tree (separate activity - use this coloring
page to label and reinforce the basic parts of the tree)
- A trunk is really just a hard,
- Under the
protective bark, water and food travel up through the outer layer of
wood, called sapwood, to the tree's crown of the branches and
- Fine roots take in the water, but trees have big, strong roots as
well. These will help anchor the tree very firmly in the
- Trees grow a
new ring of wood every year. If there is lots of sunshine and
rainfall, that year's ring is wide.
- A forester is a
person who works in and looks after a forest. Visit the community
helper: the forester theme for a separate activity to learn the
responsibilities of the forester.
- Foresters count the rings of felled threes to see how old
Environmental education > The Importance of Trees:
There are many reasons why trees are important, here are just a few:
- Trees are a important source of food. They grow many
of the fruits we eat. Can you name some?
- Trees prevent soil erosion, that is to protect the upper
layer of the soil from drifting away by wind and water.
- Trees are the homes of many animals and help provide the
shelter and food for them and many plants. Can you name some
animals that live and need trees? Visit forest
animals for additional activities as part of a unit on trees.
- Trees produce oxygen something that we need in the air to
breath, so trees help keep the air nice and clean! A tree
gives shade in the summer and keeps us cool.
- We also need some trees to build structures, homes
and many products that we need like very important
- We need to replant them and take care of them.
- They help store water that we may need during a
Activity: Easy Shapes Trees Craft
come in different Shapes (from page 19.html to page 22.html look at the browser address)
Before starting the craft visit and have fun with these online
activities to identify the shapes of trees:
- Print your choice of templates in color or black and white in the
- One of the trees is shaped like a pine - evergreen (triangles) and the
other one as a fruit tree such as an apple or, orange.
- If you print the black and white version there are a number
of ways this can be decorated:
Once the pieces are decorated, glue to another piece of paper or
blue construction paper. Decorate with clouds (cotton
balls or a piece of soft "Kleenex"), bird or forest animal
stickers, grass, to
create a scene.
- Color the template with crayons or paints first. Wait to dry
and cut the templates
- Fill the tree with scraps of green paper or tissue
paper for leaves and then cut the template.
- Choose the type of fruit color: orange, red or lighter green for the
Activity > Alphabet > Letter T is for
Tree lesson plan printable activities
Day and Trees coloring pages
Decorate the trees with a variety of materials, real dry leaves, use
fresh leaves as stampers, cut-up paper, tissue paper, add stickers
of fruit an animals that depend on the health of trees.
Shapes Trees Craft
T Tree printable activities
Trees coloring pages
* paper or construction paper
* coloring tools
* glue or glue stick
* choice of green paper, tissue paper