Holidays & Events > Feb 14th > Valentine's Day - Apr > National Frog Month | Numbers | Math > Shapes > Heart Shape Animals | Seasons > Spring
Hearts Frog or Toad Craft
Preschool Lesson Plan Printable Activities
Young children will have fun making an easy and fun craft of a frog or toad almost entirely assembled with heart shapes (except the eyes). Many basic skills can be addressed during and after the craft assembly process. Other printable support materials and links to related activities are provided.
- paper, construction paper or card stock
- coloring tools for B&W template
- glue stick
Printing options: 1. Print color template, 2. Print B&W template directly to color paper of your choice, or, 3. Print B&W and color in.
Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify any and colors on the template if using the color template: oval body and head, circle eyes and small circles on the feet, etc.
Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by size - smallest to largest.
Counting and number recognition: Count how many of each size there are and
how many in total to assemble the craft. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint
the children with printed numbers. in this activity you may want
to also count the eyes.
Review the following steps with the children and they can refer to the small image on the template.
Note: The hearts for the eyes can be cut-out as one piece. Ahead of time, pre-paste eyes template (or wiggly plastic eyes) inside hearts and assemble hind legs for toddlers & younger preschoolers.
- Paste eyes (or wiggly eyes) on the two connected hearts.
- Paste assembled eyes centered above body.
- Paste small feet hearts to elongated leg hearts. Paste the remaining two heart feet aligned to the drawn legs on the body as illustrated.
- Indicate to the children to align the black dot found on the upper hind legs to the dots found on the body and paste.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft option:
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to the back to use as decoration or ornament.
- Attach to a craft stick, new pencil or sock for an instant puppet.
- Close template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero (minimum) if you have trouble fitting the template on one page or review Print Help.
Science & Social Studies: Learning about Frogs and Toads
Character Education - Aesop's Fables: Read, view video or print and discuss one of these fables:
Alphabet printable activities: