Crafts > Colors: Grey - Pink> Shapes > Heart Shapes Animals
Holidays & Events > Jan or Feb > Chinese New Year (Rat) | Feb > Valentine's Day | Apr 4th > World Rat Day
The craft can also be adapted to a gerbil, rat, or other small rodent, such as a guinea pig, hamster, etc. The rat is one of the twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac, therefore, appropriate for Chinese New Year celebrations.
The children will have fun making an easy and fun craft assembled with heart shapes (except the eyes) and during the process many skills can be addressed.
The heart shapes animal crafts are appropriate for various holidays andd pets events. There is a head version only that has a greeting card option and is ideal for toddlers under age 4.
- paper or card stock (or print directly pink, brown, or grey paper for B&W template)
- coloring tools for black & white templates
Craft instructions and learning activities:
- Learning activities to conduct before craft assembly:
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the
- Numbers/Pre-Math Activities: Templates should be decorated and cut out.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the
hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Counting: Count how many of each size there are. You may want to write numbers on the blank side to acquaint the children with printed numbers.
- Sorting & Sizing: Have the children sort the hearts by color and size (smallest to largest)
- Shapes & Colors Activity: Ask children to identify the shapes and colors on the template.
- Craft assembly: Show the small image
provided in the template to help the children see how the finished
craft looks and to aid them in positioning the pieces.
- Paste inner ear hearts over larger ear hearts. Note: Use the smaller ear heart template only, for rodents with smaller ears, like the gerbil, guinea pig or hamster.
- Paste ears over head template featuring the eyes. Optional: Draw or add yarn whiskers.
- Paste the nose, the smallest heart template.
- Paste assembled head over body, the largest heart template.
- Paste the feet. Cut out together as one piece.
- Optional: Write letter M m and the word mouse in the body or behind the craft, or the letter and name oof rodent you wish to present.
Other decorations and ideas for the craft:
- Trace and cut templates on fun foam, craft paper remnants, or brown paper bag material.
- Paste wiggly eyes over the printed eyes.
- Tape a ribbon, string or a piece of magnet to back of head to use as decoration or ornament.
- Puppet: Glue the craft to a craft stick o against a toilet paper roll for an instant hand or stand-up puppet.
Complimentary alphabet printable activiies:
1) Adjust margins if you have trouble fitting the template on one page, review Print Help for suggestions.
3) Click on the image in the bottom half of the screen to make that frame active. Then use the print function on your browser to print the active frame.